What am i missing to get everything to work?

It would work, but why not practise your soldering? It may also add resistance, and another connector that could wiggle free.

EDIT: Make sure you get the 5.5mm connectors with a full circle where the wire goes in, not a half circle where the wire is soldered on top.

well I’ve never soldered before so i thought it would be a good alternative, especially as i have no idea what type of soldering iron/station to get. any ideas?

Hakko fx888d is a really good station to get started with. That is what I have and I am still a beginner. If you don’t want to learn to solder, you could use the adapter. It is a very good skill to have and I have a long way to go before I am good at it. Practise makes perfect.

i think i will order the same one and start learning. :slight_smile: what type of wire do you recommend?

10 awg for battery, 12 awg for motor. Get silicone superworm wire.

sorry, i meant what type of solder wire do you recommend?

60/40 or 63/37 flux core 1mm. 2mm I find is harder to control how much solder goes in.

thanks you!

do i need a UBEC with my setup? or is the VESC enough?

VESC has a 5v lead for the receiver, no UBEC required.

1 Like

thanks, what about an on/of switch is this required too?

You can use an anti spark loop plug or an anti-spark switch. A BMS with an e-switch works too.

okay thanks

will this parallel charging board work with my 5s LiPo Batteries. 5s 8000MaH 30C

http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/store/_31676__Hobbyking_Parallel_Charging_Board_for_6_Battery_Packs_2_6S_XT_90.html

Also can i plug it straight into my charger or do i need an adapter?

also can you have a antispark switch and on/off switch?

The charge board should work, just make sure your plug everything in correctly. You can have both anti-spark switch and another on/off switch, but I’m not sure why you’d want to.

I use a much cheaper soldering station, Aoyue 469. Not on the same level as the Hakko, and it’s not digital, but it’s a fairly decent unit. Especially for $30.

Also, don’t forget to pick up shrink tube, adhesive backed velcro, jumper cables, power source to program your VESC, Cable clamps/clips, and some 1/8" adhesive foam padding. Always helps to have those around.

1 Like

And watch some youtube videos on soldering. It’s not hard and you’ll be glad you learned this skill as now you don’t depend on pre-made adapters, wires with a pre-set length, nothing. Also order a solder sucker for desoldering. Comes in handy.

Leo

1 Like

Thanks for the little bits, this is what i was looking for. What would you recommend as a power source?

@Jinra @Mrmoonlight @mcfly777

At the moment i have these item for the setup…

I am going to order the VESC from DIY

And I’ve ordered a soldering station from amazon.

All i think I’m missing is the controller/reciever and enclosure right? or is there more?