What amp/watt are most people having success with? Are 10a 18650's strong enough?

Thank you.

I think I’ve ditched the idea of trying to make a compact battery enclosure and am going to do a full 12s5p. At least then I can run 2 motors and not worry too much about things.

Thanks for the heads up.

max speed won’t get u Max current draw. you’ll draw max amp during hard acceleration, I’ve pulled 100a for dual 6374s on 107mm thane wheels.

I’m not as worried about speed, than acceleration and getting my fat arse up to speed. There’s some conflicting info on the batteries. 20 amp max continuous seems to be double that of what the seller is suggesting. Even if it’s peak, at least with 12s5p I can peak at 100amp, and continuous at 50a.

Well, i dont have the nice vesc or vesc app but meter shows about 1000w for acceleration. Usually it does.not peak over 50-60amps and as today witnessed about 35amps when battery is.lower to go at constant speed.

Forgot.to mention ive got turnigy sk3 192kv motor.

I will check these vesc app videos myself once again, that @BigBoyToys board looks rather interesting entrant to energy consumtion game

So yes 50amp for dual might be just right for peak but as people have been talking before what counts more is.the continous current… i think these short bursts of power.dont heat up the batteries as much compared.to constant load… though would like to confirm this with video and temp sensor (someone with vesc app and temp monitor in batteries?)

@D_Sk8 Don’t use those cells at 10A each, assume and plan for 5A each, they will sag significantly at 10A each and get hot,. I’ve got almost $2k of these cells, about 300 of them in boards being ridden currently. Building a board with 4 packs currently, 20A batt max is what will be set in vesc

Thanks for extra.info. i didnt personally go into too much detail about his cells but building 12s 5p pack sounds wise… should give plenty of power even at 25amps at about 43.2v = ~1100w

If using the eBay packs 10S is the only option unless rebuilding the packs, you can do 10S2P,4P,6P,8P,10P Also the BMS are rated for 10A discharge max on all of those packs

Yeh he might need to consider this, 12s is also no good for most vescs

When you set a 20A batt max, does that mean max peak, or is that max continous? Does the VESC take into consideration peak at all, or is it 1 single setting, and it’ll stick to that amperage regardless of the peak battery capabilities?

5a is much less than what the seller is suggesting it supports. It’s also much less than the technical details of the battery. That’s pretty disappointing.

Do you think this would be a better bet?

I think it’s the same seller, but different batteries, double the claimed C rating.

That does not look legit and seems to be removed already lol That’s cont current, burst current gets filtered by vesc, if you burst over 130 for too long it’ll trigger over current fault. That’s the abs current max setting below battery motor max/min, limit is 150A burst

Thanks.

The link is still there. It’s via Jehu’s youtube. Looks like they sold out of the batteries in the video, and he linked an alternative. Lower MAH rating but higher C rating.

If those LG’s can’t handle 10a continous, i’ll probably use them for a prototype single drive and see how they do. Sell it, then get some better batteries and build a dual drive, or stronger single drive.

The 22p is identical to mf1 Regardless of whether they can, the BMS is 10A limited…so you cant draw more than that without replacing bms

I pulled the batteries out of the pack and am going to build a 12s5p pack with 12s BMS.

Don’t forget to rewrap them and insulate them

That is odd. I clicked the link again and I got that the listed was deleted, but clicked it again and it was there again. Odd.

I think the 22p was what they were originally trying to sell. The new link refers to Sona batteries but there’s no mention of a model number. Only that the “actual” capacity is now about 2000mah. The date is from 2015.

Yup. It’s a project, still learning but want to make certain it’s done right.

I’ll probably get a bulk of the Samsung 25R and be done with it if the seller can’t prove those Sona’s can handle 10a.

I guess I could buy a pack and test them. See if the voltage sags at 10A-15A.

I’ve never seen or heard of Sona cells, that’s a red flag to me, considering…:yum:

Yeah, the only reference I see online is his ad.

Any suggestions on the most economical battery to use?

As far as 18650 the mf1 or 22p packs are the cheapest One other thing I should mention it’s very likely that new fresh mf1 or 22p would perform better at 10A, these cells are a couple years old and stored in unknown conditions. They test with good resistance and capacity and perform reasonably well if you have the right expectations…you did pay $1-$1.25/cell :wink: