What BMS will I need with two VESCs?

You can go lower on the "Overdischarge detection voltage with Li-ions. On my Li-ion build, I had them set it at 2.8v But if you set it at 3.0v then you could easily just ride till the bms shuts off. I wouldn’t worry too much about the Over current detection because the vesc controls battery current. The default setting is 240a.
If you get a short, the bms shuts off instantly. I shorted my system at the charge port once and the bms shut off so fast (microseconds). that the short didn’t effect anything except the charge port which was melted by the arc.

1 Like

Got you, so I should use all the settings as mentioned above and change over discharge release voltage to: 2.8V±0.1V?

Hey @Namasaki could you explain this a bit more to me, I’m having trouble understanding. If the BMS continuous discharge is 80a, and you run your vesc at 80a motor and 50a battery, how is the bms not overheating? wouldnt you be continuously drawing 160a which is two times more than the rating?

I just wanted to know for a build im planning based off of your LiPo 10s BMS builds ive seen. If I were to get a 60a bms from supower and I have two vesc’s, shouldn’t I limit my vescs to not take more than 30A?

Also @tomer if you’re planning to buy the bestech bms I would be down to purchase one with you. If I’m not mistaken those require a minimum order of 2.

Yes if your wanting to get maximum range from your battery. If your wanting maximum life out of your battery, then you might just go with 3.0v

1 Like

Where are you located?

@Tomer i live in california.

Remember that the Bestech bms has overheat protection with a sensor on the FET heatsink. The Battery max setting on the vesc is just that, The maximum current that the vesc will draw. Setting the Vesc battery max at 50a doesn’t mean your gonna be drawing 50a continuously. Well maybe if your climbing a very long and very very steep hill at full throttle. I have tested total amp draw using an inline watt meter riding up a 10% grade with 6s voltage and the total amp draw from both esc’s was only 36a. thats only 18a per esc. I have run my battery max at 60a X 2 vescs and still didn’t overheat the vesc or bms. And, though my vescs and bms both have heatsinks, they are both inside an almost air tight enclosure.

Advantages of the Bestech bms. built in E-switch heatsinks on top of FET’s adjustable over current detection up to 240a (meaning it can handle up to 240a) adjustable over discharge voltage detection up to 3.0v adjustable over charge voltage detection up to 4.8v 126ma balancing current ( twice as much as Battery Supports)

@Namasaki Ah I see. So theoretically if I set max current at 30A for each VESC I wouldn’t have to worry about destroying anything, the board would just not be able to push me up the hill, correct? I just want to have the most idiotproof failsafe system since it’ll be my first build and I dont want to fry expensive parts even if it means not using equipment to full potential. I live in a city with LOTS of VERY steep hills lol.

Edit: are you also bypassing your bms discharge? otherwise you would never get more than 40A on each since your bms is rated at 80A right

Do I need an anti spark switch or can I just rely on the built in E-switch on the BMS?

I am not bypassing for discharge. I have been running the bestech bms for over a year and have had no issues at all. the bms has so many fail safes. it it gets too hot, it shuts off if you draw too much current (not likely) but if you do it shuts off if you get a short anywhere in the system it shuts off. if a battery cell drops to detection voltage it shuts off.

I am currently running my battery max at 50a and no worries. Remember that you setting the max and the vesc and bms both can handle peaks up to 240a.

the built in E-switch eliminates the need for an anti-spark switch or loop key.

ok nice i understand now.

thanks bro ur a fountain of knowledge :relaxed:

@cryo @Tomer One thing you should know is that the Bestech bms has to be turned on while charging. So that means your whole system is on while charging unless you isolate the Vescs with a loop key. I have been charging mine for over a year without isolating the vescs and it has not caused any issues for me on either of my 2 builds.

Noted. Thanks for letting us know. Is there any BMS that doesn’t require to be turned ON in order to charge it?

Battery Supports because it’s always on. With it you’ll need an external E-switch or anti-spark loop key to turn the Vescs on

thanks @Namasaki after reading a lot about it… I decided to get these BMS from bestech… maybe you have one spare to sell :slight_smile: … I’m trying to find pictures or something how to connect it to my 5 packs of 2s li-ion batteries… I’m going to use dual turnigy 6374 motors…

Sorry, I don’t currently have any spare bms.

Hey @Namasaki, I just finished to build a 10s4p battery pack with Samsung 30Q cells. I’m now going to place an order for a BMS. I also bought an anti-spark switch. I remember you said that if you get Bestech BMS with a built-in ON/OFF switch, you have to turn the board ON to get it charged. When using anti-spark switch and Bestech BMS, do I still need to turn ON the board in order to charge it? Does it also valid of SuPower BMS?

By the way, earlier in this post you showcased your BMS configurations that you use. If I build another 10s pack but this time with Samsung 25R cells, do I need to change the configuration?

If you use the Bestech with built in e-switch, you have to turn it on to charge. If you use the Supower, You’ll need an external switch. NOTE: I have found the Bestech built in e-switch to be reliable but external e-switches are commonly unreliable. I have been charging both of my builds with them on for a year or longer and it hasn’t been a problem. The Vescs are on but just sitting idle.