What do you guys think of my build?

Oh I thought it does. I guess I misread this Battery guide: http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/what-is-battery-c-rating-is-it-important-for-electric-skateboards/36?source_topic_id=215

Is putting 2 batteries in series will make it go further in distance or faster? I am confused whether to put my two batteries in series or parallel.

I’d aim for 10s. putting in series directly increases the watt hours of the pack and increases range

Series increases voltage but doesn’t add the capacity (you get power at higher voltage but the electrons flow through all cells in series at the same rate Amps, one bucket pouring into another pouring into a pipe). If you put batteries in parallel with the same voltage their voltage doesn’t add but the capacity is increased ( you have twice the buckets at the same height pouring into the same pipe… Twice capacity no change in voltage potential)

C rating has to do with max amperage due to internal resistance and heat build up in the batteries, higher amperage through a fixed resistance creates power loss I^2R higher c rating means higher max amps and less voltage sag under load (when pulling high amps to drive the motor). Power to the ESC and motor is a product of voltage and amperage so 20V at 20A is 400W if you have a 40V battery only need 10A to deliver the 400W. C rating is used in conjunction with the Ah of the pack to determine max amperage so a 5Ah battery with 10C rating can discharge at 510=50A whereas a 20C with same Ah would be 5*20=100A

So what would be better? 20C or 30C?

The more the better

1 Like

Is it better to have a shorter or longer belt? Or does it not matter?

You want a belt that fits tight and ideally wider is typically better in terms of power transfer (length shouldn’t make much of a difference there). Another thing to consider is a slightly longer belt will be wrapping around the pulley more which gives you more surface area contact between the belt and the pulley teeth which is always a good thing (see posts on idler bearing usage to improve this further if you’re interested as well).