What does motor MAX actually means?

Well, I won’t lose anymore time with you, because you don’t really want to understand that motor are rated for maximum power and cable can only withstand a certain amount of current.

Like i said i’m not set up to test that yet but i’m looking into finding what i need to do it. I’m already working on one project that will tell me these things, but its a little ways out. I’ll see what i can do for the mean time.

1 Like

So are you’re motor rate for 6000W… or else it will burn…

Is there more to why you think it’s should be 10x the battery limit? Why 10x?

I started reading this and saw how long it is, it’s 1am here. Maybe tomorrow

1 Like

@devin, don’t get stuck on your idea. Don’t think you will find many listeners here.

Your “theory” only proofs one thing : it does make sense to have two separate amp limits.
Motor amp limit to protect the motor. It will mainly be hit accelerating at low speeds. Battery amp limit (or fuse) to protect the battery and overall system. In a well balanced system it will not be hit.

Easy, no conspiracy here …

They are not related.

If you WANT TO hit battery limit… Just set it low enough. Don’t know why you want to. Just set it low.

i would never want to hit the absolute batt max limit personally. In fact i set it to something that i know is well within, usually below half, of the stated combined burst rating of the P group. For example, i use Sammy INR18650-25Rs beacuase i’m in love with them, they have a stated continuous current rating of 20A and a burst of 100A which in a 4P group would make it 80A and 400A respectively, so usually my abs max is set to something like 120 or 130.

I want everything to run cool and use way less power than its rated for. I’m not really interested in bouncing up against hardware limitations in boards i sell to other people.

1 Like

also i think i agree with what you’re saying. It does seem to me like that’s how it would play out.

i can agree with that, yeah. I mean it probably would’t climb hills for shit and would have the mushiest brakes ever but yeah.

1 Like

i sort of wish i had a board i didn’t care much about so i could try this, but the reality is i need my scarlet to not be fried accidentally in the name of science.

How would these setting affect braking? How does the negative regen current play into this?

usually the sudden bursts of acceleration while already moving are attributed to the motor hitting the “sweet spot.” Somepeople call it the secret turbo. That’s when the VTEC kicks in as they would have said years ago before literally everyone had variable valve timing. As far as I know, the only issues to have happened relating to sudden accelleration that led to an accident are PWM signal loop or failure issues from the receiver, or from the remote and coming through the receiver. You’re suggesting that this could also happen as a result of what your describing, right?

uneven braking is something i’ve already experienced, but its so minor, even at speed, that its hard to attribute to all of this math and behaves more like its just doing that because you have a lot of momentum going on real world terrain where every little thing affects how the motors gve the VESC feedback and therfore how the VESC controls the motors. Or maybe we’re saying the same thing here, because honestly, i’m still having an issue understanding it all. IT makes sense when i read it, but then when i go to think about it, it turns to mush in my head. I probably should have taken engineering classes in school instead of art and psychology before i dropped out and made my career in web development while we were all still fighting our families for dial-up time.

2 Likes