What does motor MAX actually means?

That’s just newbies going full throttle and not being prepared for the instant acceleration. You’re looking at this from an electrical perspective when you should be looking at it from a physics perspective.

1 Like

No he didn’t say that. Didn’t we already have this warning in bold many times. I think, and I think most others feel, there are other bigger dangers. Sure u could have an uneven acceleration curve based on settings. You can also have it based on the terrain with the amp control program. We get what you’re saying but I don’t think it’s the danger your making it out to be over and over .

Maybe we don’t want to blow our stuff up as I’ve never heard of anyone going over 150 motor amps successfully. Have u bothered to ask on vedders site or look at the threads there about the limits recommended?

I agree to a point. There could be more power at slow speeds but so you’ve said. I don’t think the risks you mention are real other than possibly blowing ur stuff up…no matter how cool u think you look with pics of women.

Just for the record,

I never once disagreed with you. I just don’t completely understand it yet. My “sweet spot” comment was based on other people’s observations as well as my own. That’s just what it has been referred to.

I definitely did not say that. But what you’re ignoring is a a simple physical principle that the board accelerating under from rest. Why do you think once you’re moving this effect doesn’t seem so drastic?

Try standing on the roof of a car (lets make it an automatic car so that the acceleration is constant) you will have the same effect! Lets call the car companies and tell them that they have a problem, this can’t be happening!

Or grab a 2 stroke dirt bike, give it to a newbie and you’ll see him flip it in about 2 seconds.

Or give a ferrari to a guy that drives a pruis… i guarantee he will have problems with the acceleration.

See where im going with this?

Limit the power output for newbies until they’re comfortable riding.

motor max is exactly how you limit throttle response and shape the acceleration curve. I don’t think there’s really any debate about that. If you want a smoother launch that doesn’t street your ass at 12S or even 10S then you would set it around 40 or 50, and if you want raptor like acceleration then set it to 60 or higher.

I personally prefer it set around 40-45 on a 15/36 ratio on 83mm wheels because it still climbs hills like a wild animal and doesn’t feel like its constantly trying to shoot out from under me. And it still gets ridiculous top end at well over 30mph.

3 Likes

I’[quote=“devin, post:180, topic:8292, full:true”]

@chinzw That is not what I am saying is happening when I say “uneven acceleration.”

What I am saying is the effect in some circumstances could be analogous to this:

Let’s say you’re driving a honda civic through a school zone, there’s a police officer who will give you a ticket over 25mph, and you just drove off the mechanic’s lot, and the mechanic has programmed your gas pedal to behave in this manner (though you are unaware of this as the driver):

at or below 20mph, with 10% depression of gas pedal, motor revs to 10% Red Line RPM

above 20mph, with 10% depression of gas pedal, motor revs to 50% Red line RPM

so you’re driving through the school zone, trying to stay just under 25mph, and you have no idea the mechanic has programmed your throttle to jump to 50% red line rpm with 10% throttle depression above 20 mph.

so you decide to drive just under 25mph (about 23mph). so you’re accelerating smoothly up till you hit to 20mph, when suddenly your engine RPM jumps to 50% Red Line RPM, causing your car to suddenly accelerate well above 25mph in a matter of a second or 2.

the officer witnesses you going above 25 mph and pulls you over and writes you a ticket for speeding in a school zone.

THIS is what I mean by uneven acceleration caused by improperly determined battery max and motor max limits.

This is from my very first post in this topic (Post #3):

PS… this dangerous uneven acceleration effect applies to REGEN Braking batt/motor amp limits as well. [/quote]

m sorry, have you measured this? Other from some quotes (some of them even misinterpreted) i have not seen any empirical evidence to support your theory. You clearly stated you don’t have a VESC, and the only measurement you have is a cheapo amp gauge showing that the peak amps don’t hit the limit (which still proves nothing except that the motor wasn’t taxed enough).

Also, not sure if you’ve used any of the remotes we use, but to keep the throttle “light” the manufacturers of the potentiometers use thinner retainer washers, which make the pots more prone to resistance variations (i do actually have proof of this) which on a 5k pot can generate quite a change.

Show us evidence of VESC connected to a controlled and stable pwm that shows this “problems” you want to prove.

I’m sorry, but that still doesn’t prove your theory. I can think of a few ways to test it, in a controlled environment. But having someone ride a board on the street has relatively 0 value. You want to prove to you’re right, you’ll need to do it in a controlled environment. Why do you think people don’t just go on the street, accelerate their cars 0 to 100, time and plug in the cars Cx value and get that HP number everyone wants to see for free? That’s right, TOO many variables.