What fuse do you use?

@Chaka has showed me this fuse. Only problem will be to solder it on the switch that it does not take that much space…

I still do need a simple car fuse which is rated to 60V…

Many people are using a normal car fuse (it seems so) which is underrated? Is this true?

1 Like

The best fuse i got so far ( and i will stick to it) was suggested by @elkick http://de.farnell.com/littelfuse/142-6185-5402/flachsicherung-flink-40a-58v/dp/2508398

I hope this will help everyone. For me it does!

That’s the standard mini blade fuses that only has 40a max. it’d be great to get a fuse of this size in 60A+, but I’ve never seen them.

A 40a fuse like this is what caused me to eat it while racing (ie massive acceleration), and cut it out of my pack altogether.

You had the problem that this fuse broke because you pulled to much for too long?

elkick (esk8.de) is selling the vedder switch and none of his costumers reported that this fuse broke. you can pull up to 80a for 5 seconds. I think 80a continous for 5 seconds is really much! I do think too that this fuse is probably the best because you want it to break at some point. Otherwise a fuse is unnecessary :wink:

1 Like

Just to get an idea how much ampere you will pull in real life. I dont know the setup from @Ackmaniac but the numbers speak for themselves:

1 Like

I don’t take anything Devin says seriously. And no, i wasn’t pulling too much for too long. I was hard accelerating for like 2 seconds after a bit of riding so I’m sure the fuse was already a little warm, and the fuse blew. 40a is too small of a fuse to use imo. 60-80a would be better. A long uphill session can draw more than 40a continuous, especially at lower voltages, and your board may die going up.

3 Likes

Yeah devin is devin :smiley: but ackmaniac has posted a video of his data logging. So this are real numbers from a vesc!

Could you make a long uphill session and quickly connect a laptop to see how much you have pulled?

That’s true, for 10s and 12s a 40A fuse is absolutely sufficient, for <8s I’d also go for a higher value.

I’m even using 40A on the eMTB setup with 2x6374 with 10s and 12s.

fwiw i rode on dual VESCs 5065 200kv motors and a 10s4p pack with 40 battery max and 50 motor max on both VESCs and rode fine for weeks. I even went up a long and steep hill that made my motors pretty toasty. It was only when i punched it full throttle from slow speeds racing @evoheyax, that i blew the fuse.

@DeathCookies not sure what you mean, his video drew 30a max at 10s

1 Like

I wanted to show you that you normally dont pull that much ampere even if you were going up to 50kmh! Thus i do not think we need such a high rated fuse. But i would appreciate if someone proves me wrong with some vesc logging data. :slight_smile:

A blown fuse in a real world situation with the relevant data is all the proof I need :grinning: I’m going 60a

40A on each VESC or 20A on each VESC?

Just one fuse within the anti spark switch between batteries and VESCs.

yea… I’m still recovering from the scrape that got infected. Worst part is I’m on vacation! I might throw a 60-80a inline fuse later, or just risk it and run fuse-less.

I didn’t say you were wrong, half the time you post it’s wildly off topic and only tries to further your own aimless agenda. If you want to test your theories, get your own VESCs and board and test them, then report back. I’m not even sure what you’re trying to do by continuing to spew all these words about motor and battery currents.

1 Like

If you want to talk about your theories, @elkick already proved you wrong about why the bursts of speed happen. It’s not because of some asinine reason as “wrong motor/battery current ratio”, it was because of the limitations of having 2 shunts.

Thinking about adding a fuse to my setup. So what is the final consensus about fuses?

I have 10S4P battery + 2 VESC-X + dual 6355 190kv motors. Will 40 amp ATC fuse be enough? Spacecells use with exact fuses. But this kind of fuses are rated for 32 Volts, which gives me some doubts about it.

I am not riding at super crazy speeds (at least for now), but I might need to go uphill occasionally. I set 20 Amp motors limit in each VESC, so 40 Amp fuse looks like a good match. But I am worried that voltage rating of ATC fuses is not enough for 10S setup.