What if you could just go to a site and build your next electric skateboard?

That would be lovely, wou;dn’t it? unfortunately the hard reality is that i can’t fit 72 cells and 4 vescs in my box, so i’m not setting it up to config all wheel drive boards just yet until i can wire in some conflict resolution.

to start off its only doing dual rear but i do want to allow alternate configurations eventually such as front wheel drive, all wheel drive, and dual diagonal.

but i have to start somewhere so i’m starting with what people have been typically ordering from me.

1 Like

You should offer complete sets of items that aren’t build as a package. So someone who wants to DIY but doesn’t know enough about the parts to buy can still build the board. And if you offered rough estimates of how fast and far it would go, it’d be awesome.

1 Like

ultimately i do want to sell everything i use to build these as part of a kit and also individually.

ugh… i’m sooooo cloooose… things are almost working. blargh.

1 Like

Make it happen! We shall wait patiently :wink:

1 Like

@longhairedboy if you can… please make a ‘‘battery size’’ drawing tool… so that people can see the expected range / wattage and other data (like charging info) while choosing the battery size they want (that is, if you gonna offer different sized batteries)!

I see it as a pretty cool feature on how to super quickly estimate how big battery you would like to have… Ok for longboard guys this is not as a big problem as it is for mountainboard users with more wattage / power needed for cruising around…

Will try to keep track of this little spark I got… maybe someone already has made something similar…

I know for ebikes someone had made a tool to place 18650 inside of triangle of bicycle… it was kind of simple yet effective tool to count how many batteries how much space takes up…

1 Like

mother of god.

i have complete builds going into the shopping cart now as a list of selected components.

I’m going to take a break from this for a minute now that its actually somewhat functional yet still rudimentary. It still needs to be polished and there are some things that need to be added in, like Shredlights which will be coming stock with every build thanks to a deal i just made with them, and i still need to wire in some validation for conflicting parts, but here it is.

I’ll let you guys play with it for a minute. https://longhairedboy.com/pages/esk8-builder

If it suddenly stops working, just remember i’m still in there monkeying around with the code. Also i know the images are huge, i’m going to go back and optimize everything for fast loading later. I was just tossing in quickly photoshopped backgrounds to add texture. I hate looking at grey screens while i’m building things.

4 Likes

Pretty sweet. A couple of things I would suggest to tighten it up:

Deck- can’t really see all 3 options (Scarlet especially) in the picture the way my browser is looking at it.

Battery- it would be great to understand the weight trade off for these options…either adding it into the choices or adding another function on the left next to the range

Summary- I like seeing the individual fees. The amount of labor (24.5 hours) seems excessive. Maybe because I haven’t put the work in on one of your decks like you have. Also I am guessing that although you charge $50 for the deck, you may have some labor costs in there to press and build it. I’d suggest including those costs into the deck rather than having all of the labor in one line.

Great start though. I think it looks great and gets the point across about customizing it.

great job so far. If you need help with a visual representation of the config (3d model or renderings) hit me up. I used to do that sort of stuff as my dayjob.

1 Like

looks great so far, I love the idea!

couple things broken - changing wheel pulley didn’t seem to change the top speed - and there are a ton of typos everywhere (not a huge deal but still)

I love that you have an option for a 12S6P 30Q 770wh omg. The board I spec’d out cost 3 grand hehe. Can you please work with Carvon to get a good price on V3 direct drives so I can spec out a 4WD of these? I heard you were making a fucking sword-shaped board in that config it sounds sick

opening packages and alotting parts into bins, sanding boxes, base coating boxes, tape and razoring boxes, painting boxes, drilling boxes, cutting boxes, pressing decks, sanding decks, cutting decks, xcarving decks, tape and razoring decks, painting decks, crushing glass, glass gripping decks, testing cells, tack welding packs, wiring packs, wiring BMSs, heat shrinking BMS, wiring eswitches, wiring ESCs for can bus, bulleting ESC phase leads, staining wire channels, wiring channels, potting channels in resin, sanding down resin, drilling decks for rivet nuts, potting rivet nuts in resin, wiring ESCs to eswitch, wiring pack to charge port, setting charge port in box, setting volt meter in box, setting power switch in box, wiring rocker to eswitch, wiring volt meter to eswitches, setting ESCs in box, soldering in PWM leads, soldering receiver, heat shrinking receiver, placing receiver, bolting down box, chopping trucks, clamping trucks, mounting motors, aligning mounts, threadlocking mounts, setting bearings in pulleys, aligning pulleys and belting, creaming bearings, pressing bearings in wheels, machine oiling axles, mounting wheels, plugging motors, heat shrinking phase leads, carving rear riser for sensor leads, extending sensor leads into box via stiffened heat shrink, plugging sensors and coiling them in with phase leads, programming two ESCs, bolting down the box, street testing, updating ESC settings, street testing again, tweaking drive train, tweaking ESC settings some more, more street testing, sealing the box with clear silicone, cleaning the entire board thoroughly, bagging, packing, checking packing, labeling, shipping, paperwork.

24.5 hours is conservative. if i made the deck mods part of the deck cost i feel like things would look more lopsided. i don’t know, i could try it and see what happens.

my goal is total transparency and management of expectations.

2 Likes

lol that rumor is true.

i’m hoping to build a good relationship with Carvon. so far we work well together so things are looking good for that.

Definitely not trying to knock what you are doing. I appreciate the fine work that you do. Maybe it’s as simple as not breaking it down to an hourly rate and just giving a lump sum labor cost. My initial reaction from reviewing it was thinking that seemed like a lot of time. I think it’s similar to going to an auto mechanic and they add those labor costs on. You think to yourself “That did not take you an hour to change the oil and filter.”

you may have a point there. maybe i should just make it part of the build fee. its definitely worth thinking over.

just an update. I’ve been working on this when i can which isn’t much. I did manage however to add some indication as to which deck you’re selecting by providing an image of all three cutouts with text saying what they are.

also i just added the labor as a fee and dropped the hourly rate calculation. I think that was a good call @NummThumz

also i’m about an inch and a half away from having a pathway for uploading your own deck shapes that you draw yourself so that i can cut it out on the x-carve and you can amaze your friends.

I just finished rebuilding my x-carve so that it would have a cutting area ideal for cutting my decks. I added a new waste board, shortened the x-axis, and lengthened the y-axis. Then i put mounting bolt holes where the truck holes go on each of my decks. I press the blank, chop off the excess, use the template to pre-drill truck holes, then mount it face up on the x-carve. It does the cutout then the wire channels. Bam.

so if i provide a template with truck bolt holes and box placement as an Illustrator or SVG file template, you can use that and some info about the concave i provide via gradient shaded background to draw your own outline.

draw your deck, upload the file, submit your order, bob’s your uncle. if i like the shape i’ll name it after you and provide it as an option for other customers unless you don’t want to share.

7 Likes

That’s really cool. I see the changes that you made to the site. The deck page is definitely clearer and I think the summary page makes sense.

The design your own deck concept is a really cool idea. How much customization is possible? Is it basically the shape or also the concave, micro drops, etc.? What about using an established board as a template that could be scanned (though that may create some copyright issues)? I had checked out your site a while back when I shopping for my next board. I saw that you had stopped building on 3rd party decks and wasn’t into the designs that I saw, so I moved on.

I really like this style of board. Would your new approach allow me to use a pic like this to essentially trace the design and then upload to you? I think that would be pretty cool and would allow a ton of flexibility to your customers if they see a design that they like.

Those kinds of shapes would be just fine using my concave. At the moment i’m limited to customizing only the cutout shape and using the only concave i have a mold for, the Scarlet. But if this idea catches on, I can get more molds made and boxes for those concaves and you’ll be choosing from a few concaves instead of cutouts and then uploading your own cutout shape. I figured i would use customer requests to gauge demand and determine what concaves to invest in since mold fees aren’t cheap. The first addition one would likely be a more generic concave like you find in this deck or in a more traditional landyachtz, then i would get into microdrops and that kind of craziness.

ITs going to take all year to get this polished as it is, i’m sure. So I’m starting simple and getting the bugs out of the internal processes while leaving room to expand the option sets with not only additional decks but also other ESCs, motor mounts, bearing options, wheel options, motor pulley options, remote options, etc.

Then there’s accessories. Something i could add right away is what size t-shirt are you because those are already included as a free gift with the board. Then tool kits and shredlights and all kinds of other stuff.

BTW shredlights are included in the price of my builds now, so the default option is to get them unless you tell me you don’t want them. Thanks to Eric over there who likes what i do and gave me a dealer discount for using his stuff.

That’s a really cool concept and works with the direction you are taking the website. I bet you won’t get a lot of requests for different concaves. If you have the original Scarlet one, that is probably enough to start. As far as the microdrops (please forgive my ignorance because I know practically nothing about molds for decks), couldn’t you use a metal insert to place on the wood that will become the top of the deck before putting it into the press? microdrops are really just small indentations that allow you to sense with your foot where it should be on the deck for better stability. I’d think an oval piece of strong metal no more than 1/4" thick could be placed at the front and rear of the deck to make those pocket indentations. Maybe with rounded or tapered edges to prevent digging into the board.

Btw, sorry for the sidetrack. I realize you are looking for feedback on your website.

1 Like

guys.

I have just streamlined a process from illustrator to my xcarve.

I can take a chicken scratch drawing on napkins and as long as it works with my concave, box, and trucks template, i can have it cutting in like ten minutes. https://esk8content.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com/uploads/db2454/original/3X/f/5/f5f6d0197bdfddd1fc477c468be4c3cf6e3ad46d.png

Last night i finished the template up and then jake and I made a mashup of two decks: Scarlet classic tail with the gothic coffin looking nose of a generic blank i got off ebay a long time ago.

We just sat there in illustrator and were like “make it like this… no wait… make it like that…”

That’s sort of what i want to do with my customers. So they can have things like this:

if that’s what they want.

I’m going to try and integrate some kind of artwork uploader into my esk8 builder for this.

4 Likes