What is the Best Voltage Meter

Ok so I was going to get a meter and I wanted advice on what the best one is I want one with a precent instead of the Voltage. I am using Lipo batteries if that is important.

I’d suggest you get used to reading voltage as it’s much more accurate and easier to read for cell safety, but if you want a % meter this is the one I use

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Black-light-Capacity-Automotive-Indicator/dp/B01LQ7MT4K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1495677935&sr=8-4&keywords=battery+meter

The reason I’d recommend voltage is because these meters are programmed to display a certain % at a given voltage, but different cells have difference tolerances for how low they’ll go. Typically, 18650’s can go a bit lower in voltage than Lipo’s before being considered “empty”.

Ok what would you recommend for regular Voltage then

I think the one @Jinra gave you is a good one. It already has case/enclosure as not all of these have it.

You can select which voltage you need (6s / 8s / 10s etc)…

Just put it in voltage mode the first few times, to know how low can you go with your lipos… then put it back to percentage mode to see how much % it is…

I think it should show still about 30% when u will get close to lipo pack limit… but this is how I calculate easily the range for mine - I know how many miles/km I can do with 10% for example… then see Ive got 50% left… it will be this much miles etc.

I don’t think mine has a voltage mode actually.

mh maybe someone else has to reply to this then.

I know the ones similar were sold under Baiway name.

If you hold the button etc nothing else comes up @Jinra ? So u can only choose battery system and nothing else?

Maybe u got to do it with a solder bridge or something… really not sure…

anyways, he can always hook up a lipo alarm, if possible and monitor the lipo back that way or just connect the percentage display when lipo is empty so he knows what percentage is empty…

With these meters, voltage under load is ±%5 give or take a few. I used this one from eBay on my Rouge Rogue and it works great (would’ve prefered a panel mount one, though).

To set the cell count on mine, I held a button down on the back while powering on. I could then press the button multiple times to cycle through 1S, 2S, 3S, etc. Once you’re happy with the settings, cut the power and when you turn it on again it should be good to go.

I’ve tried most of the common volt meters, my favorite is the DROK DC8-63V. Its solid as a rock, is very configurable and keeps its settings no matter what.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Lead-acid-Capacity-Indicator-Electric/dp/B01I30RAC4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495742462&sr=8-2&keywords=drok+dc8

You will also need to solder a button on to enable some of the settings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L95LP8K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its a bit larger than the others, but you wont have to open your board and put it back in V or % mode.

3 Likes

…also, in case you have a difficult time finding the operating instructions for the DROK DC8-63V (like I did), here ya go.

Instruction: 
1) Power off the indicator 
2) Press and hold Kdn key 
3) Power on the indicator  
4) Release Kdn key,then the screen will display "Pbx" or "Lix" (Pb is lead-acid; Li is lithium battery; X is the number of cells), then use ? Kup and ? Kdn to select battery types. 

Pb1: Pb12V lead-acid battery 
Pb2: Pb24V lead-acid battery 
Pb3: Pb36V lead-acid battery 
Pb4: Pb48V lead-acid battery 
Li2: 2 pcs lithium batteries 
Li3: 3 pcs lithium batteries 

Li9: 9 pcs lithium batteries 
LiA: 10 pcs lithium batteries 
Lib: 11 pcs lithium batteries 
LiC: 12 pcs lithium batteries 
Lid: 13 pcs lithium batteries 
LiE: 14 pcs lithium batteries 
LiF: 15 pcs lithium batteries  

FUNCTION INDICATORS

F1: the backlight delay turn-off function; enter the low-power state (100uA) after displaying 10 seconds, the LCD displays but the backlight turns off. Press the OK key and the backlight turns off again after 10 seconds’ lighting. This mode needs the OK key.

F2: the backlight voltage trigger function; enter the low-power state (100uA) after displaying 10 seconds, the LCD displays but the backlight turns off. When the voltage changes, the backlight automatically lights on for 10 seconds, or press the OK key and the backlight turns off again after 10 seconds’ lighting.  This mode needs the OK key.

F3: sleep function; enter the ultra low-power state (<20uA) after displaying 10 seconds , the LCD and the backlight turns off. Press the OK key and the backlight turns off again after 10 seconds’ lighting. This mode needs the OK key.

F4: power-on self-inspection; every time the electricity module is powered on, the LCD displays strokes for 2 seconds, and then displays the selected battery type for 1 second, finally displays the electricity capacity.

F5: voltage display; the current battery voltage is displayed only on the right, the battery symbol on the left is still in accordance with the selected type.

F6: the LCD shows the Logo on the lower left.

* The F1-F3 functions need the front key, the default is without this key.
3 Likes

small drok voltmeter.

Here is mine, got Drok one and attached small button as per post above to get “hidden” function of displaying voltage and percentage of the charge.

Buy a 3 dollar bluetooth module and just run an app to see what your voltage is at :slight_smile:

1 Like

To these who use these meters with lipo batteries - Do you use lead acid or li-ion mode?

I believe these meters are not that good in percentage mode, when used along with lipo batteries…

Even if some people say you can get lipo till 3.0-3.3v (when it is basically completely empty),… the recommended end of discharge is around 3.6-3.8v so Ive heard… this would leave over 50% in percentange mode, since the meter is calibrated for li-ion batteries, which can easily reach 3.0v and still have some capacity left.

mine reads 30% at 3.6 volts. Good enough for me as it helps me maintain a good cycle life while also knowing i can probably discharge past 0% if i really need to.

Good to know, Ive been using the meter only with li-ion so far and now when I ordered another one for a friend… I got to conclusion he wont have it as precise as I have it for li-ion pack…

Though im not sure I get 30% at 3.6v… which meter exactly are you using? (the one with button and with many bars, or no buttons and about 5 ‘bars’ for the visual indicator?

Anyways… good to hear it is 30%… not 60% or something, was scared it wont be very useful, if it only drops 40% in whole discharge cycle.

i use li-ion as well

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQ7MT4K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Thanks for info, yeh that is the one without buttons and 5 bars… I wonder do the limits differ between them, I should check at what voltage my meter reads 30%… I think it was about 60% at 3.7v or so…

If you take 3.0 as lowest and 4.2 as highest, that is 1.2 ‘steps’

3.6v would make it in the middle, but for lipo pack which shouldnt go much lower than 3.5v, it would need to show 50% at 3.85v per cell…

Though, I remember I have got it to about 10%… but i dont remember anymore whenever that was 3.1-3.2v per cell or a different value, so im not sure whenever 0% is 3.0v or not.

Get a meter that can display percentage and Voltage - then you don’t have to worry too much, you’ll be able to judge capacity by voltage.

Are you able to lock it in voltage mode? Mine always jumps back to percentage for some reason. And how do you set it up for lipo? I can choose 36v or 48v as 100%, but not set it to be 42v (10s) at 100%