What is your experience with abec 11 97mm flywheels?

Go softer 75a

The standard bushings on Raptor should be fine for lighter riders, just adjust tightness when riding at speed. If heavier rider I do recall maybe Onloop saying change them to tigher ones. You need the balance. Ie do you ride for speed more or carving. Stiffer bushings will reduce manoeuvrability.

Seems like the Raptorā€™s wheels may not be true 80a. So I think the ones I ordered might soft enoughā€¦I will compare them on the Raptor and see how it feels

@mr_mahal They might be 80a I was simply wondering if thediffference between 78a and 80acould be o big. My 78a wheels feel so smooth on tarmac and on the enertion 80a it was a lot of vibration when I was just puhing it for testing purposes. @Dedbny I will trz to get 75a even though it seems to be difficult to find a dealer in germany who has these flywheels in stock and even harder to find them in 75a but I need to say @tarzan setup with only one riser looks mutch better to me but i am not sure if i will dare from the beginning

For the Raptor I might just replace the stock risers with equivalent sized shock risers. Might numb some of the vibrations. Iā€™d rather not have to buy another set of flywheelsā€¦

@HH1 Iā€™m also wondering the same if 78 vs 80 difference is negligible. In any case, according to the picture I posted above, if youā€™re using a duro too soft for your weight it means youā€™ll feel rougher terrain more. Would make sense, if the wheel ā€œabsorbsā€ the impact more because it is soft, you will still feel it, unless itā€™s supposed to work like a shock riser does and just absorbs the vibration never transferring it to the board. Idkā€¦Iā€™ll have the Evolve 83mm 76aā€™s to put on the raptor and test the feel eventually. So Iā€™ll see if I really do feel a difference.

really? I would have preferred at least 78a. I think a lower durometer is always better for people who will actually be commuting because most tarmac is not perfect. The ABEC 11 90 mm and 75a would be perfect for us on the raptor.

Lowering the ride height was my only concern with possible wheel bite. In the end the other option maybe to try softer riser for smoother ride as well or just leave with the 2 standards if you have Raptor. All I know is @tarzan is very happy with his raptor set up. I dont like the green wheel, and refer blue ones like Enertion if I can find them in 83 75a but the abec 11 flywheels are not cheap and hrd to get.

Idk man, Iā€™m freaking out over here because I really hope 80a is good enough, Iā€™d be using it on the GT mainly because I need 97mm but I strongly dislike green (or any neon color). For the Raptor, I will try using shock risers before anything else because I really donā€™t want to buy another set. I wouldnā€™t use my Raptor for my long range work commute, but probably my shorter, less bumpy after work ones. I say the longer the ride the more important it is.

For reference, the BB wheels were 83a, which is pretty damn hard. They felt ok while going over really rough terrain, but that was probably cause of the flex. I imagine with no flex, the 80a would be fine. Iā€™ll have to compare them all. The evolve wheels are 76a so if that feels awesome Iā€™ll just bite the bullet and get the regular flywheels, but probably dye them black.

I felt the BB wheels were softer than the Raptors. As I felt them both. You can always sell anything you dont need on here. Im sure someone will take them.

That might speak to the authenticity of the duro rating on Raptor wheels thenā€¦ I will eventually have access to another Boosted board wheel, Iā€™ll see if thereā€™s much difference between it and my flywheel clone.

can dye your wheels fairly easily also.

Thatā€™s was what I was going to do. But then a bud suggested I google harder and I found some nice clones that are already dyed. If I donā€™t have to go through that process and spend money/time on dye Iā€™d be happy. I will consider that route if it turns out I donā€™t like them. Probably would sell them on here as @Dedbny suggested.

The boosted board wheels were actually 75mm 80a, NOT 83a. Iā€™m 100% sure of that. http://orangatangwheels.com/in-heat-75mm

the orange ones are 80a, and I have photos of my boosted board wheels where it says 80a.

The other thing is, the 80a on the orangatang wheels are actually gripper and plusher than other 80a wheels. Orangatang had a wider contact patch and they specifically made those wheels for grip. I think there is a video from loaded explaining those wheels on youtube somewhere.

I think you just have to think of the raptor as the board to go fast on good pavement. Works well for you since you have another board that can go anywhere and is being used for commuting.

1 Like

My bad, I read it wrong on another site. Couldā€™ve sworn it wasnā€™t. The clones should be somewhat alright then, even if theyā€™re not as soft.

What Iā€™m realizing is that even when the pavement is shitty, it is usually only shitty for short patches of road. Itā€™s more important for me to have big wheels rather than soft because obstacles (man holes and the like) come up a lot more than rough pavement does. I guess it depends. The Raptor I would never take exploring because I have no idea what Iā€™d be in for. Iā€™d just probably keep it on the road 99% of the time since itā€™s more predictable.

@Mr_Mahal it is a bit my concern to that it might look strange to have a black board with blue trucks and green wheels it might have a bit of an lego appeal to it with that color mixture. I might spray paint my trucks

@Dedbny I might beginn with trying some softer risers before taking one out it would reduce my risk of instant death after buying this board :grinning:

so I will get some 83mm 75a abecs and some softer risers

thanks to all of you for your help

does anyone have any experience running Otang Kegels as well as he Abec 11ā€™s - in 83mm? If so, whatā€™s the difference?

Also thinking about upgrading to the 97mm Abecsā€¦

Bump Id actually like to see if anyone has some more input on this. How much spacer is need to clear an 83 vs 97? Anyone enjoy 97mm over 83 or 90?

Depends on your board. If you have cut outs for the wheels like a lot of drop through boards, you donā€™t need to worry much about clearance with spacers (though you may still want spacers for things like your mount or motor clearance).

I love the 97ā€™s on both my builds. On my non-dropthrough board, I needed nearly 1" spacers (maybe like 7/8" spacers) to give it enough clearance. Also had to make my trucks moderately tight, which Iā€™m fine with since the board goes over 30mph. They take obstacles very well and youā€™re not likely to come to a complete stop unless youā€™re trying to go up a driveway lip thatā€™s over 2". Not much noticeable difference in torque between them and my 83mm wheels. One board is 78a and the other is 75a, though I canā€™t really tell a difference between them either.

All in all, Iā€™d recommend them for any board assuming youā€™re okay with the extra weight and size, and if you have the clearance for it. My main gripes with it are the color and contact patch. Iā€™d rather much have the contact patch of the Evolve GT (or kegel) wheels at 54mm. Iā€™m also a bigger fan of the profile of the GT/kegel wheels.

1 Like

I have 83mm wheels on my LecDec and one doubt I have is if it would be better with 90mm or even 97mm. I know that increasing the wheel size will have a negative impact in the longboard dynamics, like acceleration and braking. The ESC may not be able to handle the load also.

One plan I have is changing the motor mount to use bigger wheel pulleys with the 90 or 97mm wheels and increase torque but does the new riding experience justifies all the necessary work for this? Also it would be better if I upgraded to a VESC, this would guarantee a better experience for sure.

1 Like

so far my experience has been that theyā€™re out of stock every time i go looking for them. But when i rode them i really liked them.

1 Like

97ā€™s on the right deck is still my favorite setup.

With a GBomb/Subsonic setup using the deep drop brackets - itā€™s about the same height as Boosted, but awesome ride quality w/ the brackets and big soft 97ā€™s absorbing bumps/cracks/small-children easily.

Disadvantage of this setup between the heavy wheels and heavy aluminum brackets - weight.

example of ride height - pretty close - while also 97mm vs 75mm wheels, and w/ this setup (8s 8Ah - about 10-12mi vs boosted 4-5mi (my experience on his board)).

i never got to finish enclosures and some wire cleanup - someone ā€œborrowedā€ it out of my car when parked at workā€¦ Great setup and one of my builds will duplicate w/ some improvements. eventually.

Still love the 97ā€™s if you can find them, and donā€™t mind the weight of the bigger wheels!