What products/solutions do you want for electric skateboards? (designing a remote)

I think we should have a single system that acts as a receiver and information display with Bluetooth like Boosted.

On the board side: The receiver can have its own battery gauge and button to check voltage on the board itself. It will also be the Bluetooth receiver for a Bluetooth remote and Bluetooth connection to a phone app.

Remote side: Same battery voltmeter and controls. With Bluetooth it will be easier to add extra features like cruise control and lights.

App side: Monitors battery voltage and can alert low battery or fully charged battery messages. Could also track distance we go with Mobile data and GPS.

Iā€™m not sure how easy it would be to connect this to the vesc and program and make changes to its config. But that would be awesome as well.

Vlad has figured out most of this with his receiver and Bluetooth app. If only it was in stock. :wink:

You know, I am working on VESC integration right now! Iā€™m at the designing hardware stage, and I pre-ordered a VESC in order to test the new setup. I totally agree; we need to continue imitating the Boosted Board because thatā€™s a proven design.

I fee like itā€™s easier not to have a hardware voltmeter though on the board itself. Itā€™s nice to have like on the Boosted board, but itā€™s not a necessity.

On the app side itā€™s probable to add a distance meter and speedometer and even current through a UART connection. At first I thought that I should add more hardware to my controller so that I could support these features, but then I realized that you guys were almost exclusivly using VESCs (I was behind the times clearly), and that the VESC could support all of thee features already.

And about thatā€¦ THEY WERE SOLD OUT IN TWO HOURS! With the profit from those controllers I can probably prototype a new controller version even faster.

Sweet! I canā€™t wait.

Now that I think of it, having the voltmeter on the board is kind of a hassle to check. Iā€™d rather check my phone or remote for battery voltage.

@fraannk had an awesome app going. Maybe he can help out with the app design and programming. Hereā€™s his build

Can you have an on/off toggle switch for the different options in the apps. For example I may want to know battery % and speed but not a gps register of where I rode. So those options show up on the phone screen.

Also I would like to see someone develop an emergency power cutoff device that can be used around the ankle or wrist. If someone were to fall or a board looses contact with the controller at full speed, a simple tug and maybe no head trauma or broken collar bones. Boats and jet skies use this in case the operator is thrown into the water.

Could you link to how it is designed on a Jet Ski? How does it connect to the person and how does it detect if they fall off?

I donā€™t own a jet ski, but my guess is that it is a PIN and that pin allows for a circuit to be completed. If the rider falls off then the PIN which is attached to the rider is pulled and pops out of the jet ski turning it off. We (esk8 guys) would need this PIN to complete an electrical circuit. I have ZERO electricity knowledge but a positive wire from the battery on one sideā€¦a pin in the middle of this circuitā€¦and the wire from the other side to the motor for exampleā€¦ and of course this would be attached to the rider.

ask and you shall receive!

Having a adjustible throttle curve would be nice as well

Isnā€™t the power cutoff the cruisecontrol button? Cuz youā€™ll let that go if you fall off. So the board will stop. If you think this wonā€™t work, i just used 2 xt60 connectors for my board. Short-circutting the female plug and use that as a switch. I did this because i couldnā€™t find a high current switch for cheap and my esc didnā€™t have one. But if you do that you could just add a strap to the connector so if you fall off itā€™ll disconnect and stop the motor. To me this is actually worse than the cruise control because you can set that to break whenever you let go of the cruise control, this way the board wonā€™t shoot off an hit something/someone at 25mph if you fall off.

Frequency hopping or somehow have the signal encrypted so no other 2.4 in area will effect it. I.E RC plane/drone radios. We can have up to 200 people flying at the same time with no issues all on the same 2.4ghz band.

I hear that if your controller looses contact with the receiverā€¦ you are SOL!

Really? I never understood the application of this feature. I tried it out once and it felt too strong/weak depending on how I set it up. How do you use it?

Bluetooth does frequency hopping :wink: Haha, thereā€™s a really strong negativity surrounding Bluetooth on these forums. The truth is, Bluetooth simply usually doesnā€™t have as much power as an RC controller. But for eBoards this is still fine, since the distance is like a meter or so usually. Bluetooth low energy thoughā€¦

Bluetooth Low Energy is even lower power I assume? I heard that it was made to be a lot better when it comes to interference of wifi and other similar frequencies.

Boosted peeps only seem to have interference within largely populated cities.

I would like to have a controller that is not so sensitive at low throttle.

Can someone explain here how to include throttle ramping? Is it possible to make it without using arduino?

Throttle ramping

ā€œBecause sensorless R/C controllers canā€™t really control how much current they send to the motor (and current is directly proportional to torque output), and low-speed starting can be erratic and hard to control, it is useful to have a ā€œrampā€ somewhere in the throttle chain. Without ramping or some other kind of control input damping, sudden jerk motions of your hand or foot can result in the vehicle responding unexpectedly such as a sudden application of power. This is not only hard to operate, but it can be outright dangerous if you are in traffic or around other people.Ramping can be accomplished either in hardware or in software.ā€

Taken from instructable about escooter build

Why are we not taking speed control advice from the FPV drone world?

Control of a skateboard should be:

Thru 2.4 radio. Lowest power transmission 25mw is sufficient. telemetry feedback thru radio to lcd screen.

Board has separate BT module for phone app and fancy mapping, theft prevention, etc.

Trigger Finger control. They discovered 50 years ago that controlling a slot car was better with you finger.

Hardware dial throttle/braking rate control. Hardware trim button. Hardware middle position adjustable.

So yes, this is an r/c contoller, but with 80% of the bulk and functions cut out of ths transmitter.

Just a thought.