What Soldering Iron/Gun Works Best For You?

The one @Jinra linked caught my eye. Do you guys have any recommendations for a soldering / spot welding station?? Id like to make my own batteries and be able to properly solder. 2 different units? Or an all in one?

@longhairedboy @barajabali Any thoughts?

I use the Hakko 888D for all kinds of electronics soldering. But if you are going to get an Iron, it is a must to have replaceable tips and temp control, other than that, any iron should work fine!

Hakko 888d is hands down the best for the price, runs like a top of the line iron. But the big soldering guns (with the trigger) like the Weller ones, are good for batteries, just be careful with the heat. As for spot welding, I’ve got one of the cheap black ones you can find on eBay (most people think they’re sh!t, but they actually work fine) I’d recommend the ones with the handheld probes tho, much better for a big pack, and you can have a much longer reach.

I have an old spot welder I can sel you.

It’s not OLD but I upgraded. I’ll pm you with details soon

I would disagree! You get a aoyue 906 for a similar price but you can even solder smd with the heat gun :wink:

I use the Weller 8100UCK Expert Soldering Gun. It is expert soldering gun with built-in illumination of the solder-join. All purpose gun, that tackles soldering, cutting, sealing and pokerwork with instant heat trough interchangeable tips.Operated by fingertip trigger.

I was watching a video of motor manufacturing in china and they used a fixed iron and brought things to it. Why hold a long wand instead u can use both hands n get close. Surprised I’ve never seen a stationary iron

1 Like