What to build on a 600 dollar budget

True, but if you change the gearing to maintain the same top-speed the torque output will stay the same pretty much.

Anyway, this went off topic, for a $600 build, it doesn’t matter if you go with a 170 or 190, the performance will be pretty much the same, you just need to gear it differently, choose which motor is in stock/better priced.

i’m trying to find a downside to 2x of those 5s 8000mah cells but i kind of cant. That’s a 36 volt pack at 288 watt hours, to get that with 2500mah cells you’d have to go, like, 10s3p and even then you’d be 18 short, and that’s $150 worth of cells even from a wholeseller. Two of these zippys (at the current sale price of $37) is $74, less than half! And the 30C rating on the cells is decent too.

i guess the only annoyance would be wiring the packs up to each other and then to a BMS, but that’s not too bad really, and the end result is being able to use a normal charger for them

1 Like

I’m pretty sure lipos generally last less cycles than liions. But yeah their a steal at the current price.

You don’t even need a BMS for them if you do the VGA port mod.

1 Like

true but i just like the added safety and charging ease of a BMS

but…not sure what you mean by vga port mod? i mean currently you need to charge the batteries one at a time using that B6 charger. are you saying there’s a way around that…?

https://miamielectricboards.com/shop-1/ez

that’s a neat setup although i’m noticing they only go up to 8s for options, i assume that doesn’t matter in this setup since the charger is a b6

Pretty much. For this setup you’d need 2 ports. Though I suppose you could use a DVI port if you had a 10S charger.

bad news those cheap zippy 5s1p cells jumped back up to $74 :frowning: how often do these get discounted though? also for slightly cheaper than the $148 of a 10s1p, you can get three $48 4s1ps and make a 12s1p with 355 watt hours

if you need cheap lipos you can check my post history, there’s a link to a reddit thread for some price-glitched floureon packs (you can buy 12 4s 5500mah lipos for $130ish). I bought them so if the price is fixed by now i can sell you a couple for cheap (i’ll check that they’re balanced before i send them out but i don’t know yet, but there’s not a snowflake’s chance i’ll nee all of them)

Whoh, I got lucky than. Ordered them few days ago, after this post said they will be ok for a build.

Was lucky with the last VESC on esk8.de as well. Might buy me a ticket for the lottery :bulb:

1 Like

oooh, these look nice actually.

6s 8000mah 15c graphene packs. slap two in series for a 355 watt hour 12s1p The C rating is a little low, but still 120A output which is fine also they’re claiming these stay much cooler, which i believe, these could potentially last way longer than normal zippy lipo packs. $60 a piece means $120 total, which is a really good price for a 44.4 volt 355 watt hour pack, that’s gotta be good for 25mph and 20 miles of range, with a combined pack weight of 4.8 pounds which isn’t particularly light weight compared to a 12s3p 2500mah pack, but it’s not that bad

hell even just one of these things is a 177 watt hour 6s, great for a low end board

Interested in what people have to say about these, price is appealing. Some other general question I have.

• Why get the misc mechanical parts from Torque instead of Enertion?
  • Same goes for the VESC, why from Torque?
  • I have a Mini Remote already, should I still get a GT2B?
  • I was going to get a blank Freeride deck, but after looking more I’m starting to worry about flex, any cheap boards that as hard?

I went with DIY because of price, and it seems like Enertion is going to stop making mounts/pullies. However keep in mind the DIY VESC uses lower spec’d components so it would be wise to tune it on the lower side. The mini remote is fine and for decks check out www.skateshred.com, they have a nice selection.

@TheDrYou Why not from Torque :slight_smile:

@NickTheDude Our latest VESC uses higher rated components than standard BOM and has the latest BOM.

2 Likes

I was just curious is all =)

So how about that 6s 8000mah 15c graphene packs, other then the deck I seem to be hung up on the battery.

1 Like

How do I know that they are ridged enough though? I’m 235lbs so I need something strong I assume. I had been looking at http://www.customskateboards.com/ before, saw they have the option to add layers, up to 9, assumed that helps.

they are pretty tight lipped on flex, but a couple things to keep in mind;

-maple will be stiffer than bamboo -the smaller the wheelbase, the stiffer -if you don’t like the deck i think you can return it, and they’re only $40 a piece after all

I see Skate Shred has some Walnut decks, wonder which is cheaper.

I’m pretty sure those are mostly maple with a walnut veneer on the bottom. I figure it would feel the same as the maple versions.

the walnut on those appears to be only one layer for aesthetic. The rest of the layers is canadian maple

why not call or email them and ask them which of their decks are the stiffest?