What's a decent vesc?

the second one from the top looks well made , is it from Stewii? and that thing next to it looks like a casing ?

I got a flipsky vesc 6.6 I brought my board (6376 Turnigy + 12s1p tsa friendly) in Italy and even if we have >100 degrees this thing in FOC runs like butter. Iā€™m fairly impressed! I ordered two more and Iā€™m going to order the dual VESC they released yesterday.

2 Likes

sweet, did you order directly from them? how much for the shipping ?

1 Like

Yup, and it has (if I remember correctly) 1yr of warranty. Shipping I believe was 10-15$ to deliver in SF and took less than a week for two 6.6 with heat sink

2 Likes

1 Like

thanks for the info, looking good, how fast could this build go ?

Iā€™m from SF so my gears are for hill climbing 36/15T which brings me (190 lbs) to ~22mph

1 Like

Nah thatā€™s a FOCBOX. Note only two shunt resistors.

1 Like

you sound like you know something about how these work. how does this 6.6 compare to the focobox? its got what looks like parts for a fet switch right? and whatā€™s the little switch on it already?

They sell them with or without power switch, with or without enclosure. The enclosure imho is perfect for single motor setup. If you go with a double VESC better to get the ones with heat sink only.

@AutoItKing seems to know about the bits connected and he spotted it only has two shunts. how does having two vs three effect things and what other differences are there on the board? my only concern doesnt seem to be about amp ability and just not breaking while using 12s and foc

1 Like

@BarbaraZ might know :slight_smile:

@Hummie HW4 only had two current shunts since the DRV8302 only had two current sense amplifiers. HW6 has three external current sense amplifiers (AD8418). This means better stability and better motor control. All VESC 6 based controllers should share this trait. (including the ESCape and others based on HW6). Other than that thereā€™s just small improvements to hardware and a few added goodies like nRF.

The picture @bigdog referenced up above has a FSESC6, a FOCBOX (and its case) and three other HW4 versions.

The FSESC6.6 does include a low side switch (anti-spark switch) with a button to turn it on and off. Nice feature!

HW6 has a lot of fixes learned from HW4 and HW5. You should be able to run 12S at quite some current and be perfectly fine.

Note: HW4 refers to the ā€œclassicā€ VESC weā€™re all familiar with. This includes the FOCBOX, eSk8.de, Maytech SuperESC and others. HW5 was an intermediate that was never actually produced. I think there is one ESC that used it. HW6 is any hardware based on the 6.4 or 6.6 schematics such as the FlipSky, ESCape, and of course the real VESC6.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s actually a focbox with out the cover for size comparison.

1 Like

you know more about the 6.6? hard to find info or know what the info means. can i hook any switch up to the low-side switch instead of their push button? whats the other switch on the board for? how good you think this 6.6 is in comparison to the other 6 variants or the real thing?

I donā€™t know, Iā€™d have to get my hands on it to see how they implemented the push button. Best guess? Yeah probably. Iā€™m not seeing any other switch on the board, what are you referring to? Oh never mind I see what youā€™re talking about. That little slide switch is for selecting the motor sensor voltage between 3.3 and 5V. All HW6 versions Iā€™ve seen include it. FlipSky isnā€™t using DirectFETs so the thermal characteristics will be slightly worse than the real VESC6 or the ESCape and others using DirectFETs., but for most people it should be fine.

with such a huge heatsinkā€¦and id read the direct fets can be harder to put on the board rightā€¦if thatā€™s the biggest downside im happy with it as is. im more worried about some lesser chip that should have a higher voltage rating or something and would blow after a while. well im in for 2 of the 6.6 and also organized a group buy here too if anyone is interested. 115$ each!

Im interested in a group buy if they are down to 115! Im keen on two with heat sink but no case.

thats what this is about. no case no button. maybe we can add our own button?

Iā€™m wondering if the fets for the switch are there. If itā€™s there why not use themā€¦