Whats the best motor?

Stealth in this case usually means less openings and black paint. If you look at the ollin motor it is black, almost totally enclosed, and will blend in very well. I have heard though that the Ollin motors are incredibly quiet. Different story with something like an SK3

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I had dual enertion 6355 motors on two boards, they were solid. I think all the vendors here selling motors make quality motors that are basically on par with each other. What you have to determine is who provides the post purchase support. Also consider the mounts you are using and which ones will work with which motors.

Hub motors are different, you have hummie hubs, jacob hubs, DIY hubs, and carvons (did I miss any?). Enertion also has some hubs coming out supposedly.

Can anyone give me some differences between those hubā€™s? Especially between Jacob (AKA EMF Hubs) and DIY hubs (AKA torque dual hubs), since Carvons are way too expensive for me, Hummieā€™s (AKA NonPurple Steelhubs) donā€™t have enough torque/get too hot/bit too expensive for me, Enertionā€™s takes too long to come out for me and I think chinese value hubs are too risky qualitywise and also hard to get here in Germany.

Correct me if I missed anything. Also, I very much respect all named products, this is just the opinion I formed from my research in the context of what I am planning to build for me personally, and my opinion will never be perfectly educated. Feel free to correct me again.

I havenā€™t heard anything from DIY hubs (at least the low 75Kv option, 83mm, 12/10S version I am considering), except this from @torqueboards himself:

Anyone with some experience please? :grin:

Look into the new bigger hummie hubs. They look promising.

@ACIN Ever since I got the single torque boards hub fixed its been riding like a dream, would definitely recommend. The only think I notice about this motor is that it gets VERY hot after riding hard for 5 miles or more.

Thanks for the reply @anorak234, you are the guy from the youtube review right? The thing is you are using the (singleā€¦? or dual?) 130kv motor on 6S I think, I am on the other hand considering the 75kv 12S version, which should not overheat at all, and have pretty good torque too. Calc tells me about 44 km/h topspeed for DIY, a tiny bit less for EMF, which is enough for a beginner like me.

Are you running them in FOC? Do they gliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiideee like a good hub does? :grinning:

Good to know they feel good though!

The 400$ steel ones? Yeah I havenā€™t heard anything bad about them, they just are a bit more expensive, run hotter and have a bit less torque due to the higher kv of 90. But yeah they apparently have pretty damn high topspeed of around 50 km/h and their build quality seems pretty solid too. Not sure if Iā€™m ever going to be able to use this potential in the urban enviroment I live in. And in much more likely medium speed scenarios the torque of the hummie should be comparable to the torque of the DIY/EMF, while these probably additionally relatively dominate hillclimbing and other low speed acceleration examples.

Now the purple (old) hummies had lower acceleration based on quoted vid by jason, I am interpreting here because devins data doesnā€™t really say much about lowspeed torque/hilltolerance.

Why is the steel version more than 135$ more expensive anyway? I wish it said more on the steelhub website about the improvements.

he has aluminium once which were not that great, he improved his design to the steel once. But now he will start selling the way bigger stator once in the future. Who will have probably ridiculous torque probably. I have the Carvon V2 duals. Which are very nice to ride and coast with on foc. I preordered the emf once. But there were too many problems, and you still canā€™t use them unless you also buy a sleeve from australia for another 50 dollars.

My topspeed atm is 56.6 km/hour and iā€™m not a skater or longboarder. When the board works as intended brakes always works, and they are smooth. Itā€™s not even that scary or fast tbh.

10s / carvon V2 / foc top speed is higher but had to brake for pedestrians :stuck_out_tongue: and was not wearing a helmet ā€¦

Honestly, I donā€™t know that riding without a helmet is something to chat about, especially at high speeds. Also most experience riders seem to say that anything above 25km/h gets intense so Iā€™m not sure how one can say that 56.6 is not even scary or fastā€¦

Ah ok. I thought the EMF issues were fixed now? 56.6 km/h sounds sick, if you have a stable board and some quality stuff under it! I donā€™t think I want to pay 700 bucks for the hubs thoughā€¦

I suppose it would be intelligent to wait a few months for all the new hub motor models to come out (enertion, carvon v3 and stator upgraded steelhub.). I caaaannnā€™ttt waiiiitt though.

@ACIN The hub motors work great and weā€™ve also added a new retainer to it as well which definitely helps.

Weā€™re limited to the current hub motor size as we wanted them to match the front wheels and not stick out.

We have a new batch which we should get any day now and the latest/newest ones have an added heatsink area on the inside of the wheel for more cooling.

The best setup would be 10S/12S with our Dual 75KV Hub Motors.

But the setup is great and I ride them on FOC the only issue is they do get hotter than a typical belt drive outrunner setup but thatā€™s understandable considering they are hub motors. Even though they get hot they seem to run great. Iā€™d just not purposely do things to add more heat. Ex. Go uphills without momentum.

Hereā€™s the hub motor on 90mm wheels :slight_smile:

We also have a new 220mm hanger w/ 40mm axle truck (caliber style) coming out soon. I plan on trying to make a huge hub motor for it :slight_smile: Although, thatā€™s about 3-4 months out.

4 Likes

What is that deck I see?:grin:

1 Like

Hey @torqueboards, great you showed up here to clear up.

Yeah of course hub motors are going to be warmer, but thatā€™s not a problem for me as long as the motor stays intact and the tires stay where they should be, me being 63kg light and the heatsink helps as well!

Yeah your hubs definitely win stylepoints for me, that looks freaking sick!

So we have another hub motor model coming up next spring-summer, that makes 4. Oh agony of choiceā€¦ I think Iā€™m going to collect just another day or two worth of research from @devin , @jacobbloy and all the other guys to find out which motor I can get right now is the best for me, till all the reviews of the new motors are out will take just way too long for me, I want to be able to start off directly once spring is there. Later on I can still sell and switch. Definitely stoked for all the upcoming hubs! 220mm/bigwheel sounds fantastic, we are missing the ride stability that that can offer in the current hub market.

Thanks again and have a nice weekend!

Yes, Iā€™m the one that did the YouTube review. Currently running the single hub on 6s with the FVT esc, so no FOC but itā€™s quiet and definitely glides. If taken to max speed and then cut, itā€™ll still keep rolling for a long while

Yeah thatā€™s mainly why I want to go for hubs, thanks mate!

And you better wear a helmet next time!! :point_up_2: :zipper_mouth:

@elbari I would say the best motor would be scorpion motors if you have no budget, Because they have great magnets and build quality, I have one and going to be purchasing another, but if your looking for value look elsewhere, I would go sensored Ollin like motors

Well this is my opinion. I have been cruising on 6s for over 1.5 years now. (30km/h)

Now I went up to my new board. Which has only quality components, I have never had one failure at all. Probably have 300km on the board. Itā€™s a downhill board, has no speedwobbles at that speed. The only thing you actually feel is the wind in your eyes that gives you tears. So i think it depends 100% on the board you are riding. But I feel in control the entire time.