Whats your opnion on these lipos?

hi there. I saw these lipos on a facebook ad post and thought that 2 of these would be great for a long range battery build. I am thinking if I get 2 of these and run them in series I can get a pretty large 12s build. my only concern is will the battery fry if I use these on a hill? I live in the hilly city of Cincinnati and we have monster hills. I just want to make sure if I use these for off road and long distance traval that they amps will be great enough for hill climbing.

i mean it’ll work but it’ll weigh your board down shitloads

for that price you can get some pretty large lion packs made. There’s even discounts going on right now from many builders.

Edit also these are only 12c dont think they will be suitable for hills. you will get a lot of voltage sag

12c is abysmal though and Likely they’re only really 6c. Hello voltage sag, hot cells, puffing, and early death

2 Likes

i want to build something with the range and same kind of output as an evolve. I don’t mind building my own lithium ion pack if need be. I just need proper direction and I thought I could do it with a lipo. would those be ok for ebike? maybe a 24v ebike kit?? (( i know this isn’t an ebike forum but most ebikes run at 250w and go about 15mph. I’m just trying to build something for the winter. ))

THIS :arrow_up: :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Maybe w such low current draw at 250w, which is low by our standards, you’d be fine. U tell us

well I know that nickel cadmium batteries can be used for ebikes. I owned a giant lafree…it was a 250w whats known as a pedal electric which means you need to pedal to make the motor work. it got about 8-14 miles of range and it could actually do the hills in my area and there the same kind of hills that Olympic cyclists use for there practice runs from time to time. I feel that this might work for a 24v run but i thought id ask here first about eskate use at least.

for esk8’s most people use samsung 30q 186050’s. they dont have that high of a discharge rate but it works well if you make a minimum 4p pack.

ok thanks.

Okay you guys need to seriously read before you comment.

12C is a TON holy shit!

This is a 20Ah battery. A 12C 20Ah can do 240A.

Even if it was only 6C, (which is likely) that means it’s 120A capable. @Hummie @Indiangummy

Just for perspective, two of these batteries has a similar range to a 12S7P 18650 pack. Are y’all off your rocker?

Now I’m NOT saying these are high quality cells. They are probably cheap. But they’re probably equivalent to other hobby king lipos, and just have extra cells in parallel.

I’d say go for it, it’ll be a reasonable battery.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s my bad. Forgot actually how big th battery is. But for a similar price can’t one build a 12s 4or5p pack? Would give you about the same range right?

You would need 5000mah cells for a 4p pack to get the same range, and 4000mah cells for a 5p pack for the same range.

so you would say go ahead and try it out? I mean the worst case is I catch fire but if I smell smoke I’m getting off it and running. So its not the end of the world.

1 Like

People have used zippys for a long time, I’d say it’s an acceptable brand.

1 Like

You say that zippys are an acceptable Brand. This product is a turnigy. So you say: Turnigy = zippy flightmax?

Btw. Zippys are great!

1 Like

Oh oopsies, my bad. I meant turnigy.

But yeah, they’re basically the same.

The 1S bare cells on hobby king are also turnigy and I’ve made two builds with those.

1 Like

And if there is 5000mah left it is only 60A. Most likely more around 30A. Lower discharge rating means poor performance when the lipo in fact still has plenty of miles left.

That’s just factually incorrect. C rating is a constant that is only relevant to the maximum capacity.

The internal resistance of the cell does not change drastically, and the internal resistance determines the current rating. Instantaneous capacity has no affect on current as the voltage drop will still be .5V at 20A with 2000mah left just like it was at 20A with 15000mah left.

Discharge rate is determined by quality of electrolyte, internal surface area, and thickness of electrodes/output tabs. Any of which can bottleneck and none of which are affected by the current capacity remaining.

It’s more the opposite actually, thickness of tabs, electrolyte, volume, and surface area all affect the overall capacity, not the other way around.

Edit: and by the way, these DONT have a low discharge rating. C rating is just a number. C x Ah = current capacity.

First of all, these are waaaay too thick. 70mm is going to be impossible to safely fit under a board unless you have stupidly high risers that will compromise your stability. Secondly, do you really need that much range? A pack like that is going to give you more than 60km of range and I find it hard to believe you’ll actually need that.

I’d suggest you go with 6 thinner 2S packs with higher discharge (C rating) or 4 3S packs and spread them down the length of your board.

1 Like