When will a motor move you?

Yes it does. Motors have a stall torque. If that is not enough to move you, then the motor will burn out. That’s the whole point of gearing. It’s not only to get it to a reasonable RPM range.

I think this motor won’t turn at all and just stall unless geared properly

If the motor doesn’t have enough torque to move you, you kick-push and allow it to maintain your roll.

You know of anywhere offering that service Hummie?

you could do it. id do it for you if you really want. I don’t know of a service but if someone asked on rcgroups I bet you could find someone.

id like to try to see how low I could get the kv but I’m too busy now and maybe next week!!

1 Like

That’s also why I suggested running a 500-600W motor at 200 Watts

Not really all that helpful.

image This is what a bl motor curve looks like. If the motor is rated for 500W, that will be at the max power condition, which is not max torque conditions. Max torque is on the far right of the graph above. Max Efficiency is at high RPM/low torque.

So yes, while 200W may be enough to push someone. The motor might not even put that out in high torque/low rpm conditions. Not only that but you are also running in a very inefficient point so the motor migh still overheat. That’s the point of gearing a motor down using a gearbox. So that you can keep the motor at it’s max efficiency range while the torque is enough for the application.

So what motor/gearing/voltage/current/wheel_size do you recommend?

That’s what I don’t see

I’d try a 35-40mm motor in the 1200kv range that can do 6S with this gearbox:

I knew they existed! Freaking rock crawlers.

That plus 50mm wheels on a 1:1 should get 13mph tops and hopefully plenty of torque.

1 Like

I’m waiting for the day the park skaters discover the skateboard version of a trials motorcycle. Something light with lots of torque (small battery) something you can trick on, manual forever… you could drive out of sketchy landings… who knows… but I look forward to that day!

imagine that in a skate park?

1 Like

Fitting a pulley to that will be an interesting task…

HTD3 might work due to smaller teeths

1 Like

ESCs are a problem then

I can make you what you want. 35mm motor can, 2000w 1500kv Inrunner. 58t spur on a 9 t pinion steel on steel gear drive on a 50mm wheel. 25mph and torque enough to spin the rear wheel at will. If your interested send me a PM…

3 Likes

I did this once. just for fun. I think I’m actually going to build a proper version of it with an enclosure instead of tape LOL.

2 Likes

Motor? gearing? hows the driving? distance to the ground?

give us some informations hah

i did a park board with caliber trucks and risers and fit a tacon 63 motor no problem. or better yet get a kick tail and put it under that and no riser needed probably.

it’s a SK3 5055 280kv motor, with a 12T motor pulley and a 30T wheel pulley. its sketchy at speed. I have never been a longboarder so I felt good on the board, but I wanted to go fast with stability. so I put the drive gear onto another deck (40") and have been riding it ever since.