Which bms for a 12s8p battery?

Hello Everyone! Which bms would you use for a 12s8p battery pack? How many A? Greetings Therealesk8

A would use a 12s bms for a 12s8p pack… :rofl:

Use the search bar

Are you looking to use the BMS for both charge and discharge or as a charger only Bms?

How many amp charger do you have in mind?

Also what cells are you using?

1 Like

I’m going to use a bestech d140

2 Likes

I don’t know which charger my friend is going to use, but i can ask him. And he only wants to use it for charging.

Okay, I’m going to check this bms👌

1 Like

This is what I use for my 12s5p and it will work perfect with a 12s8p if you are doing charge only

I got mine from @thisguyhere, but I think his website is down.

2 Likes

Olay, thanks for all👍

thanks for letting me know, this host i’m using fkn sucks right now

2 Likes

back in business

http://www.esk8life.com/

1 Like

I use a Bestech D140 I got from @thisguyhere on my 12s8p. So far so good :slight_smile: charge only btw.

1 Like

What’s your schedule on balancing?

how do you check your cells to to ensure everything is ok?Hardware or some kind of application for your vesc

1 Like

i’m right in the middle of writing an article on medium on how to check for voltage drift.

i’ll let you know when it’s up.

6 Likes

Yeee

Can you include something about checking IR, preferably without opening up my pack?(to be honest I don’t know if this is possible, I’m just regurgitating what deckoz has told me :sob::sob::joy::joy:)

Or it could be a second article :yum: whatever works

Well I was planning on taking it apart and checking everything soon but I have not done that yet. I don’t have 1000 miles on this battery yet and the votalges and range has not seen a noticeable change as of yet but I will do a regular preventative check.

1 Like

I doubt I’ll have issues, I’m just trying to best prepare myself so if anything goes wrong I can prevent the full pack melt down :grimacing:

How do you not worry about that kind of thing :joy::joy:

1 Like

Oh I do worry lol I have a infrared laser temp gun I use on cars and I periodically measure the temp of my battery while charging with my hands or the gun. I feel like if nothing is too warm then everything is okay.

1 Like

at 8p i bet you’ll have very little drift, if any.

not possible if you need IR for each P group…

not sure what value there is checking IR of the entire pack if it stays in balance.

but…here’s what’s needed for IR calculation (if you don’t have a hobby charger):

1 Like

I don’t know much about laser temp guns so it’s probably a silly question, but which do you use?

I don’t want to get one that gives off funky readings :joy:

I guess checking while charging should be a pretty good indicator

I guess I could buy a bag of sand and just leave it in my common room :joy::joy: let’s just hope I can get there in time :sob:

Google Photos

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00837ZGRY

the laser is just a pointer, it uses infrared to measure actual temperature. so…point the laser directly onto the hottest part and it doesn’t actually read it, but move it around a bit and temperature goes up.

1 Like