Which VESC to buy?

Hi, im new to the whole VESC scene and currently in the planing stage of making my own DIY Onewheel. I have done quite a lot of research on which VESC I should buy, but im still not sure. I am therefore wondering if anyone of you could recommend a VESC that meets my requirements. Main purpose will be commuting, but maybe some offroading aswell.

Parts that I know will be used:

16s3p 21700 battery pack

Fungineers SuperFlux hub motor

Fungineers Stompies footpad

Frame will be custom made

Requirements:

VESC 6 (every VESC based on VESC 6 has internal IMU right?)

16s3p 21700 cells

3pin jst ph 2.0 connector for footpad

FOC capable (have read that not every VESC is able to do this)

Heatsink is preferable but not required

Reliable (ofc)

Please ask if more information is needed.

Thanks in advance!

If you’re using a 16s, look into 75/100 based escs. They can handle 16s. Trampa, ubox (although unsure since they have a combustion issue with 16s at times), and maybe makerx since they now have a 75/100 based esc.

@LeonCamero Have you tested the MakerX HI100 75v100a when it comes to heat dissipation and reliability? Also, all new-ish VESC’s have an integrated IMU right?

Not all escs have a built in imu. The makerx hi 100 75/100 doesn’t have it.

I haven’t tried the hi100 75/100 due to not necessarily needing higher voltage, however, it was tested for heat and reliability and the only error noted would be the 5v error. I would contact makerx if they solved that issue before buying.

@LeonCamero Sorry for taking so long to respond. I have read some places that adding a imu to a vesc yourselves can cause instability or even straight up not work, so I think I want to take the safer approach and get one with an integrated imu. The Trampa VESC 6 MkVI is only 12s, and the pre-order one is quite expensive. The combustion issue with the Ubox might be fixed in the new version (I’ll do some research to make sure), so that might be the best option if there aren’t any other vesc’s that would work for my case. Btw why does the Ubox vesc use custom firmware?

The ubox uses custom firmware to remove software limitations that is on vesc tools. It’s to be able to do more since the hardware for it can handle more than the software given as default. But lets see if they remove that combustible feature.

Right, I see. I’ll do some research then on the combustion issue and might just create a new topic asking if anyone has had any problems recently with their ubox vesc.