Who has Experience ?,... Low KV vs High KV?

Sounds like a monster. Can’t wait to see how it works out. I like the 2-stage reduction, a setup that e-bikes have gravitated towards (mid-drive e-bikes).

Factoring voltage sag, motor and gearing inefficiencies, I’m calculating a weighted top speed closer to 73 kph, which is still dangerously fast but not ludicrous speed. When you get up around those speeds, headwinds are gonna slow you down more than anything else.

http://calc.esk8.it/#{“batt-type-lipo”:1,“batt-cells”:12,“motor-kv”:730,“system-efficiency”:80,“motor-pulley-teeth”:1,“wheel-pulley-teeth”:6,“wheel-size”:90}|

Nice Tool! I never knew about this! I like how it tell me the weighted top speed. 73 km/h is pretty fast. I will post some videos of the build and first test when I am done.

What if I am using an 8s? I am also curious about battery consumption on lower KV motors, do they consume less or more?

I don’t believe that the difference is significant, however I haven’t run any tests myself.

i used 12s and 8s on various kv motors. gearing. wheels. with motors from 140-245kv. either way you can get 20mph+, climb hills. and good range.

but theres always a torque/speed trade off. I haven’t bothered testing anything that can’t go at least 20mph because that is just boring now…:sweat_smile:

The real thing is the sound of the motors is different when using bldc/vesc and the torque band moves around. like off the line torque vs 12mph to 20mph.

How’s breaking on this board wand what’s your max speed?

At the time of that post I was running 83mm wheels and 15/36. Max speed was about 23 mph with my weight which is around 195 Braking is good but that’s mostly because of the Vescs and also because of the dual drive.

Currently I am running 90mm wheels with 15/40 gears. Bigger wheels = smoother ride. Top speed is about the same and braking seems even better.

1 Like

My experience is with 270kv 12s, 97mm wheel and 3:1 (15/48) gear reduction. It works but I don’t like the large gear reduction. The wheel pulley is quite large and close to the ground and small motor pulleys wear out faster than large ones. At first I had 4:1 ratio with a 12 tooth motor pulley. Those wore out super quickly. Im currently in the process of building a 140kv system, same size motors and everything else. Just so I can run a 2:1 ratio. 20/40 pulleys. Should be much more reliable on the pulley and belt side.

I found an interesting project that I will try to replicate. It uses 380kv motor and 6s and 3:1 gear ratio. Of course is a budget build but I was amazed by the perforce reported and would be perfect for my needs. Any concrete reason why I should not go this way?

If you want to look at the build the thread is called “300€ electric skateboard build” by never stop seeking

1 Like

Will is that 6s Lipo or Li-ion? If Li-ion how many p?

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

4p li ion celss

And that was enough for a single motor? What sort of range does that get?

10 miles???

Sounds perfect for me, I’ll go 6s4p then I think with 30q Samsungs… :thumbsup:

Thanks!

What would this mean for motors with a 1:1 gear ratio such as direct drive or hubs?

For example the Carvon Speeddrives are 110kv and the Torqueboard dd are going to probably be somewhere around 60-70kv.

Low KV consume less battery! they are slightly slower than high KV and arguably safer for your VESC. If you are using the Vedder ESC (VESC, I believe FOCbox or older), choose your KV according to your battery voltage. 10s you need a KV less or equal to 200KV, 12s you need a 170Kv or less. Note: your board will still work fine if you don’t respect this, but know that you will be giving your VESC a hard time handling higher RPMs. High KV = faster, draws more juice form battery. Low KV = slower, more torque, draws less juice. Note that the difference is not too small and that with a low KV motor you can still gain more speed by changing gear ratio (using bigger motor pulley and smaller wheel pulley, or vice versa to get more torque with high KV motors). In my experiments, there was a 5 MPH difference between my 192KV vs 168KV motors (Faster on 192kv) on the same setup.

IMHO with mountainboard : low kv = less amps = less heat = better efficiency maybe = less power = no fun

Anyway I don’t go beyond 192kv at 12S