Who is using FOC and whats your setup?

@elkick where do the measurements for the 30cm begin and end? Is it at the start of the battery cable that leads out of the battery pack, or at the connector?

And where does the measurement end? Is it at the cap PCB of the VESC, or the connection on the main PCB?

1 Like

Itā€™s measured typically between cells and capPCB. But this is just my own observation and is also related to the cable quality, thickness and how they are mounted (putting +/- close together when routing them across the board might be a good idea). I tested it several times, and every time I went beyond a certain length I had issues.

So I donā€™t know if others were experiencing the same. Normally I am using 12AWG HK silicon wire. And the BMS wiring might not add to the whole calculation, since itā€™s only at the - cable.

1 Like

If the wires are too long or building the inductance somehow and messing the FOC upā€¦adding caps is a solution right?
Thicker wires with the the red and black as close as possible as was said is a good start.

1 Like

Iā€™m on Carvon V2 like @elkick 149kv. On my 12s1p LiFePO4 I set my bat max to a conservative 40A even though itā€™s rated for 60A. Switched between FOC and BLDC a few times with no errors. Iā€™m also on PPM with the 2.4ghz Mini Remote.

With the lifepo4 at 3.6 volts for a full charge why not do ā€¦16s?

I have it on a really small deck, 29" kicktail with roughly 13.5" wheelbase so real estate is kind of sparse at the moment. Mostly it using on very short, flat distances in the city.

ah well, couldnt help it and set the new vesc up with foc. on the bench it works well, but I have weird behaviour Id like to ask you guys about: Im using ppm current control no reverse with brake, motor sk6374 -> if I go slight throttle the motor will spin up full -> small torque, no load -> full RPM, check!

now I increase the throttle until max and what happens is the motor is becoming slightly slower (from 41000 ERPM down to 39000 ERPM and the real time data plot shows actually negative power and that its recuperating with about -2A battery current and about -75Watt power. huh?

I highly doubt that :stuck_out_tongue: anyone know whats going on?

@whitepony I have always found that FOC mode behaves differently than BDLC mode when itā€™s on the bench, and that seems to be true for startup as well as when I try to move through the RPM range.

Iā€™m sure someone who understands it better could explain why this is, but itā€™s definitely a pattern Iā€™ve noticed with FOC mode (but it doesnā€™t seem to impact things when Iā€™m actually riding).

I really like @elkickā€™s advice to start configuring FOC from a fresh firmware install, that way no lingering values are impacting your config.

@elkick thanks! Thatā€™s really helpful; I might have to reduce the length of some of my cablesā€¦ Iā€™ve for a battery arming switch that is adding a lot of length.

I think the point with the max erpm is correct. I have read somewhere, that the max erpm is slightly lower in FOC mode than in BLDC mode.

i didnt compare BLDC with foc though - what I had was less ERPM at max compared to min throttle without load on the benchtest with negative power consumption. its just weird behavior that I dont understand. :confused:

do you get the same behavior when throttling to 80-90% of max?

Sounds like what happens when the voltage limit is hit Iā€™ve never had that happen on the bench with FOC Iā€™m using a Kama But I did feel it riding once when my voltage limit was hit

if i go min throttle the motor starts running slowly, the motors own friction is enough that it doesnt hit ERPM max. so if i increase the throttle further, the motor will eventually run into max ERPM very soon with about 50-75Watt power consumption.

from there, increasing throttle will slowly decrease ERPM and decrease power consumption/battery current until the numbers all become negative eventually. this continues until max throttle!

is the difference between bldc and foc just noise and start up?

And efficiency

1 Like

And smoothness

1 Like

and ninja-ness

1 Like

first 20km maidens ride on my vanguard and FOC was really really awesome, so glad I tried again!!

speccs: VESC HW4.12, software 2.18, motor sk3 6374 168KV, remote 2.4Ghz torqueboard remote!

control ppm, current no reverse with brakes!

highfive @elkick, nice vesc!! :grinning:

5 Likes

Nice! Nice to see other people appreciating itā€™s awesomeness. so nice.