Who is using FOC and whats your setup?

In low rpm it sounds quiter but at high rpm FOC is louder than BLDC…

Mmmm I had read that in another thread. I haven’t gone above 25-30kph yet. Decisions to be made before I get my next VESC.

My setup is dead silent on FOC at higher speeds. I’m also riding hubs, so that might make some difference.

We have 6 boards (some single a few dual drive) driving around now. all VESC’s with FOC running on 6S. We never had a single accident / weird behavior / DRV errors. We even had moments that the capacitor leads broke and we where driving without any input caps.

1 Like

Well it’s do or die time… my replacement VESC arrived from Enertion. FOC please do right by me! Interestingly it’s come wrapped in solid black shrink and back to the 3 cap version.

2 Likes

I just built my first board… bought everything from diyelectricskateboard. have a 6374 230kv, 13t/36t pulley setup, 3 zippy 3S 5000mAh batteries in series(9S), controlled through a wii nunchuck. I had it all running okay in BLDC mode for a couple days. I noticed the board would cut out for a second on hard acceleration so I decided I was going to try FOC without the hall sensor [ waiting for jst connectors from china =( ]… I watched all the videos and did a whoole lot of reading but after trying to set it up the vesc quit working… I think i Fried something… motor wont respond in FOC or BLDC. Nothing from the wii remote or the keyboard… i can still read and write to the vesc, but any commands to the motor result in 3 red flashes =(

4.10 vesc with 4.18 firmware. Ive re-flashed a few times. current limits are at default… think its time to order another vesc unless i can find someone near Oceanside, CA who knows what they’re doing haha

Running FOC since 100 km now without any problems.

10S / VESC 4.12 / 4.18 Firmware / 190 Alien 6355 / 14/36t / Winning Remote

1 Like

After the first day of running my build in BLDC mode I really disliked the hard acceleration and deceleration. So I figured I’d give FOC a try. This is an Enertion VESC (latest). FOC has been working fine ever since. Setup was easy and it goes smooth. I’ve clocked around 100km as well on mine.

@Jamy What motor setup are you using?

@CRABOLSKY Any first conclusions?

I am currently getting parts for my build and was considering the sk3 6374 168kv (since it was shortly in stock) with 10s (either 3 or 4P) and I am a bit worried now. Really like to run FOC - another option would be to hope that the upcoming vesc is more reliable with this?

Turning sk3 245kv motor, 6s 10000mAh pack, exertion pulley system, custom motor mount. I gotta finish my build log so I can just link there :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve run out of solder… I’ll check back in once I am up and running.

Maiden voyage

First impressions… incredible. I am loving the torque and acceleration. Topping out at around 38kph which is short of the theoretical 45kph, however I am not sure Iam looking to go much faster. Braking is smooth and confident without any cutouts.

3 Likes

I just set up a board today with Sensored FOC.

Specs: 8s5p Li-ion Battery, a single 230kv 6374 motor, 16/36 12mm pulleys and belt on 83mm wheels.

Motor detection worked flawlessly and so did FOC and Hall sensor settings.

I seriously wasn’t prepared for the silent take-off from a dead stop. Also, I’m amazed at how smooth and fast this board ramps up to top speed. It was a fun test ride today :astonished:

6 Likes

Okay, I had a great first test yesterday with absolutely no apparent issues (battery was at about 70%) Today however after charging to 100% on the space cell I had a 2 dropouts under full acceleration. These are the same dropouts that occurred right before frying my dvr chip last time :slight_frown:

I took the board out under full (100%) charge last night for 10 min without issue… today the only difference I can think of is rough road under foot? So what could be causing this… I assume that the battery wasn’t putting out the same voltage with the cell only charged to 70%?

My settings are the attached accept I cant recall if I reduced the Batt Max to 40a? @whitepony the only variation per our exchange was setting the Max Input Voltage to 57v per others recommendations for the space cell (could this be the issue)?

Your Regen is too high, but shouldn’t cause drop outs. what are the symptoms? you have to power cycle the board, or just wait to reconnect? what remote are you using? which space cell? Regen should be -12 for scp3 and -16 for scp4 max.

I am running the 12s3p. Enertion Steez.

Drop out is experienced as a sharp drop out in power for a quick second. Then I can power back on. Iam pretty certain this isnt a remote connection issue… it’s got to be a moment of the vesc hitting a limit and trying to protect itself.

I am at work but will correct the regen settings for sure. I am pretty sure I followed the above (it’s an early screenshot of my theoretical settings before I received my new VESC) could the batt max at 57a be an issue?

57v max voltage should not be a problem. So you’re not running a space cell as you’re running 12s? Make sure to fix your battery cutoff as well since those are 10s settings.

The issue does sound like a remote issue, but maybe it’s a BMS issue. Are you discharging through the BMS and what is it rated for?

Thanks @Jinra… sorry that was a typo. I meant 10s3p (I’ve got 12s on the brain).

The BMS is the standard with the space cell. As per above you agree that it ins’t a remote issue (I think you meant doesn’t).? I am not sure exactly what I am looking for, but intuitively it feels like something isn’t being “governed” correctly in my settings. That maybe too much voltage being drawn?

The VESC doesn’t “draw” voltage, it accepts whatever voltage is being fed to it and shouldn’t fail unless it exceeds max voltage. Regen braking can cause small spikes of voltage, but it shouldn’t be hitting the 57v cap. There was no typo, since it does sound like a remote issue, but perhaps can be something else.

Try this, next time the issue occurs, do not turn off the board and plug it into your computer. Open up BLDC Tool and type “faults” in terminal to see if there are any reported faults on the VESC. If there isn’t, then issue lies somewhere else… The remote would be my guess since the Space Cell bypasses BMS for discharging.

1 Like

Fair enough… that all make perfect sense. It might just be a coincidence that it feels the similar to my first issue. THe difference here is that the sudden cut-off is much less aggressive. It definitely happens with an abrupt jerk and then comes back once I’ve let go and reapplied the accelerator

You know…with all this tweaking I’ve been thinking about leaving usb cable connected and hanging out of the enclosure until I am 100% confident. Man it could would be cool to have a small female connector built in to the external case.