Why do people endorse inserts over regular skate hardware when mounting enclosures?

just fill it with a mix of sawdust and wood glue

oh yea, and don’t mark it wrong :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Just take it slowly and use pilot marks/holes… This way you can expand in a correction direction.

2 Likes

14 minutes on “sex” bolts, a generic term😂

1 Like

You never have to retighten your inserts or enclosure screws? And do you go trough the deck till its flush on the top side and hide it with griptape or is there like 1mm of deck-wood left?

1 Like

“mark the drill bit so you don’t drill through the deck”

direct quote from my video :wink:

1 Like

I never have to retighten the inserts. The m4 bolts I loctite during final assembly.

I use 10mm long inserts. On the boards that are only 10mm thick(vanguard/flex boards and the like) I put the butt of the insert on a die grinder and take them down to 7-8mm, so no I never drill all the way through a deck…

2 Likes

Sweet! I have read your build thread like 20 times… Really love the landyachtz evo setup you got going! Sick stuff dude :slight_smile: I need you to make some more YT vids of that board tho :wink:

1 Like

Check the video thread there’s a couple in there :wink:

1 Like

Not a typo…

7 Likes

Oh, sorry @squishy654 I did not know such a thing existed :open_mouth:

4 Likes

They work great for enclosures

1 Like

@squishy654 being as serious as possible…

male or female on top? ;]

4 Likes

Have you looked into T-nuts? Inserts are fine, but I think t-nuts can be a little bit easier.

Normally inserts are what I use when the material is too thick for a t-nut.

Female, that way you have a smaller hole in the enclosure.

1 Like

Vibration… There’s nothing to keep t nuts in over time. So threaded inserts are where I stay,

T-nuts have spurs though, to keep them in the wood and keep them from spinning.

f976f0a677d1e87db23a9238ec66552e

And presumingly you’d also grip over them, so even if you didn’t have a bolt holding them in they still shouldn’t go anywhere.

I’m not drilling holes in the top of my board, so that means an install from the bottom. As these are hammered in. The streets will hammer them out. So no, threaded or bust.

Literally the wood inserts I use are set and forget. I screw them in with no glue and never worry about them again

2 Likes

I used them for a bit. You could feel them with your feet under the grip. They didn’t fit the contour of the board. I am on the insert side of this.

1 Like

I’ve just had bad experiences with threaded inserts with plywood. Like with it splitting the plys apart. But thats with you know, normal 4X8 3/4" plywood.

I never bothered to try it on a skateboard because I figured it was a bad idea.

1 Like

Nah just over size your holes a bit.

I’ve done it on everything from vertically laminated bamboo, to composite sandwich boards, to Maple ply, olive wood, and never had any split. The main thing is drilling a hole big enough for the cylinder part of the insert, so only the threads cut and the cylinder isn’t pressing the wood outward.

1 Like