Why has no one used single lipo cells to build packs

i don’t use them because i can’t stack them as efficiently as i can 18650s. I’ve tried getting over 600 watt hours worth of prismatic lipoly into my box and it doesn’t fit.

i love me some nasty ass lipos though. Running a pair of 6S 10Ah tattus on my beater right now.

3 Likes

Well size wise, I’m planning on making a custom enclose for mbs anyway, and thought the fact that they’re loose cells might work out nice, allowing for some small flexible case underneath or a least a decent box on top.

1 Like

Here is why I don’t…

Unless it is in a battery box like a Trampa etc

All traditional longboards made of wood, will flex. Flat lipo packs that flex shift the anode and cathode, and can also cause buckling. Sure you can make a deck that has no flex, but the feedback is going to be very poor. Even my LY Evo Flexes.

So you can

• make a board with 18650s and use wood and have lively feedback from the road.
  • make a board that doesn’t flex, with flat packs so you don’t risk shorting, but feel like you are riding a plank of ass.

I’ll take the 18650 with the layers encased in metal always held tightly together, and the lively feedback from the road because I used a proper deck for $1 please.

59e792371500001007746461

1 Like

I made a 10S pack out of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-SPIM08HP-3-7V-8AH-LITHIUM-POLYMER-BATTERIES-25C-200A-SUPER-CELLS-24V-36V-48V/173305036284?hash=item2859c8fdfc:g:QXIAAOSw8~5a72gx. Takes only 20 minutes to assemble, but had to source #6-32 x 3/16 and large OD #8 washers from Fastenal. I made an aluminum enclosure for it that mounts underneath my MBS board, filled with PU shipping foam. A 10S1P pack weights about 6 pounds, the volumetric energy density sucks ass, but it has minimal voltage sag pumping 20A - 40A into a load. Disassembling and Reassembling is really quick and easy with these cells, so I just manually top balance them every once in a while.

1 Like

Check out this guy he uses single lipos and knows everything about batteries not so much about esk8 though. His build using single packs is funny and might give you an insight into why they are not used widely.