Why has this industry been so overpriced for so long?

@b264 I was just a little bit confused because of @mmaner 's reply…

2 Likes

OP is complaining about overpriced parts/equip/etc.

@davewood1982 what is the problem? what exactly is ‘overpriced’?

4 Likes

David, mate. Keeping it real simple.

If you think about it logically all of the industries you’ve mentioned are extremely well established, 30+ years of manufacture on gigantic scales bring costs down to the absolute minimum. Not to mention 30+ years of bribery, manipulation, ecological damage and atrocities, political manipulation and the list just goes on and on.

Their margins are huge on most of their products and the ones with low margins, driven down by competition make it up elsewhere. Like you buy a watch for £60 but the spare straps are £30. That watch seems like a great deal but if you break the strap you get economic anal and you have no choice but to accept it.

On the other end of the scale we have esk8 - and skating in general. It’s always been a fringe hobby/sport. Yeah there are high earners and some companies are well established but Samsung has a market capacity of literally billions of customers and they are producing a million plus products a day.

Flipsky are producing 10s to 100s of products a day and their market is likely a few thousand people at most. Their margins are not exactly stellar to start with but are also whittled down by the bureaucracy of paypal claims, damaged on arrival products, poor R&D that’s lead to problems with early models and loads of returns. By the time they’ve sorted all that and the administration involved with dealing with it - because time is money and time requires staff - they’ve made just enough to consider this viable. That’s an example of a larger producer appealing to a wider audience.

Our local builders, who put their soul, life and effort into a single board for sale with margins that (no offence chaps) would make most entrepreneurs run for the hills, are not doing this for the big bucks and a ticket to the high life. They are passionate, these products exist because passionate people were willing to give up substantial portions of their lives to make it possible.

So when you pop on here and make a really poorly thought out post with no research or basic logic you offend them, and all the rest of us who can put two and two together.

If you’re young, that’s cool, we all need to learn. If you’re older - do some reading mate, you look like a tit.

18 Likes

Instantaneous defriend. You can get a powerful enough telescope and actually look at the hardware they left on the moon if you want to. But no observatory will let you waste their telescope’s valuable time on such frivolous bullshit.

5 Likes

most active thread on the forums, is it just me or are people only now realising just how much they’ve spent on a skateboard and are feeling the meed to justufy to the it to themself by abuing the OP :sob:

@b264 But look… I’m just an 14 year old kid who likes eskating… I’m sure there are people on here that are a lot smarter than me… :slight_smile: I’m sure there are people on here that know a lot more about economics than me. It just want my limited knowledge and comon sense tells me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

he says whilst building a new board…

3 Likes

I got so distracted by this thread that I left the dish water running and half flooded my kitchen hahah thats what I get for beating up on op

8 Likes

We don’t hang out much but hes a stand up guy lol. Its just rhe NASA thing lol. Have another buddy that questions flat earth being real. Hes fun to fuck with lol

2 Likes

Bruv I spent almost 3k jist on random parts for random builds. And thats @ about a grand a month. Again, as it was said, if you cant afford it, don’t venture cause you’ll be highly disappointed

6 Likes

Gotta love the sarcastic assholes attacking somebody for asking a viable question and discussion, Are prices overpriced? yes! we all know why so the discussion was intention to help create possible solutions to bring costs down for us akk, and not act like keyboard warriors by bullying/attacking…

1 Like

100%

$100 is cheap.

2 Likes

Instead of wasting your time being wrong, go read this book: image

4 Likes

theres just a way to go about posing said quations mate

so yeah screw your ‘viable questions’

2 Likes

Then stop participating in the argument and tell us what you consider overpriced.

5 Likes

braeden.dilger1 been a prime example to my prev messege…

@braeden.dilger1 hit the nail on the head and deserves a solution. Its economy of scale pure and simple. The only way to change that is for our pastime to grow.

It was not a discussion opener but a baseless opinion and that is why you are being put right.

11 Likes

We’re as you say “attacking/bullying” because you don’t get it. Our builders aren’t BMW or Sanyo. Put one these builders of gear drives in a factory with multiple people and the price goes down.

6 Likes

I’m actually pised I didn’t get any stickers with my rkp mounts. You’l be hearing from my lawyer @psychotiller

12 Likes