Why helmet safety has become my #1 priority

All helmets are one and done deals my friend

well with the exception of …

9 Likes

There’s ways to measure the diameter of your head using a ruler and string or just go to a local bike shop and try out some helmets that are comfortable. Use the cm size to determine what size you’ll need to purchase a full face online. For example I used my Bern Brentwood helmet (L/XL) to figure out the size for the TSG Pass (L).

Steel can always be bent back…:grin: seriously though poly/plastic and foam cores are all one and done.

If sizing is your concern then you can order from Amazon. They have a great return policy and in most cases free.

As to your second question, NEVER reuse an impacted helmet regardless of superficial damage. You might not see it but the inside core might be crack and damage. Should you have an impact in the same area again, the strength and rigidity of the helmet might not be able to hold up to the force as well as before. You only have one brain my friend. Also, regardless of accidents, you should replace the helmet after 2-3 years of use. Deterioration can be a pain in the ass.

As an aside, there’s a saying when I was still working a OT; you can replace every part of your body, liver, heart, arms or legs, except for your brain and nerve cells. So armor up!

1 Like

Makes sense, kind of sucks if you tend to fall a lot, or even really twice…don’t think FF would be that affordable that point unless you get something like the Bell. Wonder how often DH’ers replace their FF.

1 Like

I measured mine a little above my eyes and around the occipital bun or however its spelled. I measured at almost 22 inches i remember correctly.

i use a full face motorcycle helmet when performance testing and a regular skate helmet while out derping.

I couldn’t agree more with this post. When i broke my arm last year and had to walk home with it and my board, i sat down on the couch and had a vasovagal response that scared the shit out my wife. I was looking for better gear the very next day while i was in a sling.

oh and if you break the right part of your elbow, they may not even give you a cast stating concerns about ligament flexibility, so broken arm with no cast for weeks on end and no pain pills? fuck that.

6 Likes

Thanks for all the responses guys! Some really good advice. Regarding multiple impacts, I was thinking more along the lines of how some helmets are designed to sustain multiple small impacts without needing to replace them. Like the type of helmet used in a skatepark. Just wondering if downhill longboarding helmets are the same, or if it’s more like any impact at all and throw it in the trash like a bike helmet?

I live in Canada, so options are limited regarding helmet choice unfortunately…I’ve used the measuring method when buying a hockey helmet online. And even though those helmets are adjustable it still fit like crap - I guess due to a different head shape and I couldn’t use it, so that’s why I am a little cautious of not being able to try before I buy.

After I get the helmet, I better start looking into some body padding as well…This sport is expensive!

2 Likes

There is some company that sells multiple impact helmets for skiing, S1Helmet comes to mind ( http://shop.s1helmets.com/s1-helmets/ ). I tend to avoid it though because grading scale of lethal impact is pretty subjective and experience based.

Now that you mention it, I guess our sport would be consider as extreme sport. Red Bull sponsorship here we come!

If someone falls that much then they should reconsider another sport. Unless you’re doing tricks, uiu shouldn’t fall that much if you practice safety precaution. I think injuries are unavoidable but lessening the damage is doable.

Boosted has a pretty good risk assessment page but it’s buried in the site. Something like this should be a sticky on the forum like @treenutter suggests.

Risk Acceptance Risk acceptance can be thought of as a ladder with negative factors increasing the height and positive factors decreasing the height. Negative factors include: traffic, hills, little space to maneuver, potholes, loose gravel, water, cracks, debris, fatigue, increased speed, spectators. Positive factors include: preparation, coaching, inspection of the board, familiarity of the area, protective equipment. The consequences of accidents increase as you climb further up the ladder.

Risk Ladder An accident can be thought of as a chain of negative factors. For instance: imagine you are late for work. You rush out the door with the board still a bit groggy. You are going a little faster than usual, and all of a sudden you don’t see the patch of loose gravel and go sliding off your board. There are several factors or links that came into play in this accident, and if any one was taken out the chain of events would be broken and the accident may of not occurred.

You Don’t Have the Right of Way As electric skateboards become a legitimate new form of transportation we will begin to create new laws and guidelines to replace the outdated laws surrounding skating and motorized skateboards. For now though, in most places you don’t have the right of way in ANY situation. It is good to remember that, assuming you have the right of way can get you killed; a car will always win in a collision.

Don’t Ride on Sidewalks Avoid riding on the sidewalks whenever possible. Not only is it a bumpier ride for you, but it is also a danger to pedestrians. If we are going to positively represent this new form of transportation, riding on sidewalks is the easiest way to attract negative attention.

Where to Ride? We should strive to follow all the rules and guidelines that safe bicyclists use. Ride in the street with the flow of traffic or in bike lanes whenever available. Avoid pedestrian walkways, sidewalks, and anywhere else bikes are not allowed. Be sure to leave enough space between yourself and parked cars that a door opening doesn’t block your path.

No One EXPECTS How Fast You’re Going Pedestrians, cars, and bikes will pull out in front of you with alarming regularity! People haven’t seen electric skateboard riders that often. They will assume you are walking or on an unpowered skateboard and expect you to be going much slower than you actually are. You need to take a defensive position and be ready to stop at a moments notice. This is a great reason why you should learn to footbrake for emergencies.

Be an Ambassador Everyone is going to be watching you! Your behavior on the road could ultimately determine whether laws in your area are overturned in our favor, or enacted to limit any use of electric skateboards.

You represent all of us every time you step on your board. Every red light and stop sign you cruise through someone sees it. Every pedestrian you have a close call with may be calling their representative. If you are riding in a dangerous way, you might be the one that ruins it for all of us!

Instead promote good riding habits. Stop at lights and stop signs. Give everyone the right of way over you, cars, pedestrians, and bicyclists. Use hand signals to signal traffic or bicyclists where you are turning or if you are changing lanes. Ride in control!

15 Likes

I just remembered I bought that last year! Never had a chance to use it since I’ve forgotten all about it :sweat_smile: thanks for reminding me dude!

Is there a difference between the TSG pass carbon and TSG Pass Pro carbon, besides the yellow color.

Quick recap without reading the entire thread … List of awsome Helmets: Full guard: Bell 2R TSG Pass ZG- Vector M5 Predator DH6 MET Parachute Ruroc- Evolve sponser Triple eight- Racer Pro-tec shovelhead POC Cortex Flow Icaro- 4 flight

5 Likes

Nice. And i have done excessive testing on them(streeted my face quite often^^).

I’m speaking hypothetically. More realistic would one crash every 5-6 months or so maybe, idk. Point is if someone needs to get 2 $300 helmets in the same year it becomes a bit expensive. I’ve only wrecked once, but I didn’t hit my helmet hard really. Lightly touched the ground. Still rode with it but maybe that’s a mistake. No cracks scratches or anything…this was with a skate helmet meant to be for multi-impact though.

1 Like

True. If only they’d make cheaper full face helmet.

Met Parachute is 150 in Europe

I’d rather helmets just be multi impact lol cheaper would mean weaker in my mind…but idk, really would like to see someone who’s taken multiple crashes with the same FF. I dont think FF are as fragile as bike helmets. DHers crash all the time. Cant imagine they have the money to replace their stuff every other month