Why helmet safety has become my #1 priority

Switch pants mate…if you fall…your dress pants are still good…why mess with the suit?

Look at the Dainese trail skins. They’re like g forms but a bit more durable according to owners and no big plastic shells.

Bahahahaha! Hell yeah- look like Megatron on your e-board with MET parachute 2013. Wasnt someone building a transformer themed silver beefy board?

2 Likes

I sometimes pair my Bern Brentwood helmet with a Scott full face mask which I think is meant for snowmobiles or BMX. This probably won’t do much for a hard crash but I like how it looks on camera.

http://cdn.coresites.factorymedia.com/dirt_new/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Scott-Goggle-2.jpg

4 Likes

Beware the Vector M5 because its fits very small. My jaw was extending below the front chin bar.

The M-6 is much better at fitting my head anyway.

1 Like

Don’t know how I missed this one but glad to have read it now! A really sobering read Rik, thank you for sharing it in such plain terms. This definitely needs to be sticky’d up top.

I ride with a basic skate helmet when I am tooling around the streets and to be honest I find that I need to force myself to do it. I guess a hold over from my teen years street skating. This post has reaffirmed what I already knew… you must wear a helmet!

2 Likes

I feel the same way too sometimes. But the thing that I keep going back to is being an ambassador of this hobby/sport and taking responsibility when non DIY friends ride it, even just tooling around. If I put half the effort into safety that I do with evangelizing the rush, this never would have happened. I’m surprised more of the vendors haven’t chimed in on here because it’s an important discussion. Do we take the passive “I told you so” / “play stupid games, win stupid prizes” stance and keep accentuating speed over safety or do we find a balance? I refuse to turn a blind eye to the issue because the fact is I built something that ended up hurting someone because of one negative factor - protective equipment. I enjoy building these things to share with my friends and have a positive communal experience and this experience was the exact opposite of that. I hope the guys here who are building land missiles for new members never have to go through what I went through because it really sucks.

6 Likes

@RunPlayBack totally see where your are coming from mate…but I feel you are blaming yourself a bit too much. There is an inherent risk in what we do. We accept it. Definitely sucks what happened. And the light has been shown…you know better, he knows better, we know better…you have adjusted the way you ride and put safety at the top of your check list…

Hope your buddy heals fast…but he wasn’t the only one that got hurt that day…you need to heal a little…Confidence is a little shot and placing blame on yourself solves nothing…limiting your board, throwing on a brain bucket…sharing what happened, now that doing something!

Get back on that horse and ride man…rip that shit up, but in a safer way…it’s all you can do…that’s what you are doing now. You are a better e-boarder because of it

Hope to see some new vids soon mate👊🏻

4 Likes

Yeah you’re right. 100% :slight_smile: I did ride a bit yesterday which was cool. Kind of a strange feeling because I felt like a kid getting off training wheels for the first time lol. Just gotta build the confidence back up, will ride more this weekend.

5 Likes

You got this bro! You just got rattled by recent events. Even thought things went bad, it seems like a lot of good is coming from it. Just all the posts on this thread of people getting helmets or talking about getting them is great. Instead of it being “cool” to not have a helmet, it’s becoming cool to make a positive choice to be safe. So you already made a big ripple in the pond. Thanks, homie!! My thoughts and prayers are still with ya’ guys. You’ll get back out there stronger than ever! Smarter than ever!

3 Likes

Here there are cheap helmets. I don’t know if they are good: https://vsiproducts.com/collections/helmets I think only shipping to usa

1 Like

I let a nephew of mine borrow my esk8 to ride to school. He got bullied and was called a pussy for having a fullface helmet with him. Kinda hope no one falls for that “cool kid” bullshit

1 Like

If you can’t afford the expensive stuff

Go basic

5 Likes

how many boards do you have :stuck_out_tongue:

I started skating last Summer. First I thought, what about my head? So I got a half helmet. Then I thought, what about my ears? So I got a 3/4 helmet. By then I’m e-boarding At speeds from 20-30+ Mph. Then I thought what about my face! So I got this.

6 Likes

Warning about going fast with a half helmet and quick release buckle. I heard of then coming right off when a rider goes down at speed.

Kudos for making him wear the full face and the fact that he told you about the bullying is a positive thing. Not sure how much he knows about esk8 but sharing the experience of a build, the power that’s involved and why a helmet is part of the wardrobe might do wonders. He’s already the cool kid by knowing all this jazz.

Baby steps…

13 Likes

I believe that we should consider ourselves in a similar category as the Downhill boarders. Full helmets, full leathers and gloves. These are on my wish list: http://www.njkleathers.com/index.php/custom-leathers/skateboarding-luge

1 Like