Why is there no on/off switch integrated in a VESC

I don’t suggest to buy for you :wink: You just said there is no AS that can do more than 50A :slight_smile:

Myself I don’t run switch as my build is just battery pack on board I just disconnect cable in the end I will use bms :wink:

True - it’s frustrating when everyone is bashing the idea when I still don’t understand the reason why. Hobby ESCs have done it and to me this is something a fancy ESC like the VESC should also have. How does Boosted solve this? Do they have a separate AS?

Can you point out the ESC because apart new focbox and Chinease6 I dont know any with AS :wink:

Boosted used BMS with switch, many modern BMS has switches inside if you don’t ditch discharge part of it :slight_smile:

Just look at the Roxxy ESC that @Nowind was using in the early days. It could handle more current than VESC 4.12. And again: it’s not about AS but on/off switch.

Oh those switches just switch power to MCU, they don’t disconnect whole ESC from power its super simple :slight_smile: it could drain power over time from your battery :slight_smile:

Which is what I want for the VESC - the entire thread is just about exactly this. That’s why I don’t understand the negativity. This should be simple to implement and the manufacturer should then have people decide if they want to use it or not. Give me two pins I can solder a switch to and I’d be happy.

1 Like

You had to state it that you want power switch only mcu not whole ESC :smiley: I suggest to ask mods to delete this fight scene and create a new topic with exactly discussion about switching only power to the processor or in vesc case to DRV so it wouldn’t generate

@moderators

P.S. Thank for this idea I will try to implement this in my next ESC design iteration :smiley:

1 Like

My initial post does state that I just want to switch the brain components. Then I got into an argument with @linsus who thinks it’s a bad idea to have the voltage connected all the time and the entire thing went South into a discussion about AS. I basically just want a fancy sleep mode in which the VESC does only use microamps and the receiver or BT module etc is off. That’s how it should be for commuter boards that get charged often anyway. My actual hope was for a savy guy like you to come along and point out that you can already do that by shorting two pins or whatever. That would have been awesome.

2 Likes

I am simple guy pull xt90 from battery pack done, my board is so primature at the moment, I just don’t have time and resources sit down and finish all the small projects for it plus I am switching now to Evo project so its also hassle with 12S15P pack :smiley:

Loop key would only be a backup for me. The advantage of the Lou is its stealthiness and that would get destroyed with a large XT90 accessible on the outside.

My stealthiness ends 200m ahead of me then people turn heads and drops jaws then I overtake sports car at red lights to change lanes :smiley:

1 Like

I have found that the XT90s loop key is the most reliable switch available. I’ve burned up at least 6 Anti-Spark switches & 2 BMS switches. I’m done with Anti-Spark switches and I mostly use charge only BMS’s now, so the field is a bit barren :slight_smile:.

Wouldn’t you then also profit from having a VESC built in switch? :wink:

For my folks like me who need a ELI5 in this thread of intelligence and fuckery

2 Likes

I don’t see at as outlandish, but what happens when you have x2 VESC’s or lights or USB charger, etc?. The only practical use I see is when it’s a small lipo build with a single VESC.

Also, and this is what scares me, it’s likely that a swich built into a VESC will use the same tech as an Anti-Spark switch…what happens when fails?

1 Like

myriad, indeed.

Which is why I said in the beginning that this is motivated by the Lou board. 5V rails etc. should be switched in the best case. So lights and stuff can stay connected and don’t draw any power.

Im not arguing with you brother, just offering insight.

Didn’t mean to come off hostile - I am sorry.

Boy this thread is getting to me.

1 Like