Why no reverse?

Another valid reason:

I don’t have reverse on my mountain board because I haven’t set it on my esc’s but I know it would be super helpful considering sometimes I get myself in a jam and need to hop to turn around since my feet are strapped in

1 Like

do you have a link to a ESC like that? (Double Brake for Reverse).

there’s a YouTube video of Vedder reversing… so think there is a reverse coming (edit: with VESC), if not already…?

The VESC already has reverse, some people, such as myself, just don’t use it.

Any hobbywing ESC should have double brake for reverse I personally used the xerun and quicrun which are limited to 6s but i think they have a 8s model now.

with 180 slides being the only practical use I can thinkof, has anyone here actually DONE a slide with our huge, soft wheels? I find it impossible unless it has just rained. Even then it is extremely difficult.

There’s a couple hard turns I make that are a bit sandy/pebbly (is that even a word?) on my regular commute where I sometimes do a quick slide. I’m sure a much better skater could pull off a 180, but them 90mm Flywheels stick like glue. They don’t let up so easily.

I tried reverse when I was bench testing with a Nunchuck controller and there was a VERY disturbing issue. When cruise control was pressed it only reversed when the board was stopped and cruise was released, which is as expected. The serious problem was, if you were using direct throttle control it was able to reverse with a touch of the Z button even when at full speed. Maybe it was just because there was almost no load on the bench but it seemed extremely dangerous and I like it when my teeth stay in my mouth.

Vedder uses reverse for the test purpose, I doubt he ride with reverse. Most people dont use reverse because of a safety issue. Jittering or accidental reverse while going forward could cause two things. One you kissing aspath real hard, two you blow ur vesc.

However I think most people have no reverse so that it could coast when throttle is positioned in the middle. This becomes less important issue if you have a special remote that could offset the middle position of the throttle (special settings).

You can still coast with throttle in the middle, but only with current control. Both Duty Cycle and PID brake at netural. I used current with reverse for a while, but didn’t find myself using reverse much so I turned it off. Didn’t really many problems with it.

I I’m using reverse quite often, especially on the eMTB. As you mentioned it, since your feet are strapped on the board it’s easier to get yourself free again if you’re stuck.

I also enabled it on some street boards just for fun and to use the board with dual front wheel drive from time to time. And to annoy people. :slight_smile:

It only works with the Nunchuk though.

1 Like

I had a boosted board for about a month and the reverse feature was really great as it give you confidence you can stop at any speed. Is it hard for boards to be setup this way?

Why would a reverse-less board not give you confidence to stop at any speed? It’s exactly the same thing.

2 Likes

The way the boosted board is it allows you to gradually put on brake power.

The Vesc does as well

so is there a way to setup the vesc to go in reverse when putting on brakes …?

Well no ESC “goes in reverese to brake”, included boosted board. The ESC brakes first and when eRPM is low enough it applies torque in the opposite direction. Until that point, the motors act as a generator rather than trying to push the motor the opposite way.

To answer your question, you can have forward/reverse just like Boosted Board on the VESC.

Ok great thanks How do we set this up on a vesc?

Really easy, just use the “Current” control mode. Everything else in the Vesc can be configured normally.

Because I like to hold down the brake :sweat_smile: