Why Run 12s on a VESC?

what is your weight? that can be a huge factor

135 lbs, prolly like 140 with my helmet and all my crap on.

ok, there you go. 140 is gonna give a huge advantage for top speed and less load or less heat I’m a sorry 185

correct…

1 Like

I’m building my first board and have 4 3s and @chaka vesc so that’s not good ?

1 Like

@Namasaki tb motors are rated as 230kv but are really only 190kv you can calculate by checking in bldc tool they hit about 67000 erpm on 12s

That’s not the best way to calculate kv. Check this out.

I got 194 and 197 kv on my 200kv motors.

2 Likes

It does seem nice, but you draw a lot more amps than on 12s. I want to do more tests, but real world tests I did with a watt meter showed me drawing 50 amps from the space cell continuous, and same hill with 12s was only pulling 30 amps.

12s seems to me to be the best if you can do it in terms of lowering heat in your vesc, and maximizing torque. You seem to have a higher chance of blowing a vesc (based on the experiences of those on this forum) running 12s.

The other thing is, why does everyone seem to ignore 11s? Wouldn’t that bring the likely hood of blowing up the vesc down, while having some of the benefits of 12s?

If the VESC 6.0 wasn’t coming out soon-ish, I might’ve actually wanted to try that when I build my own pack.

Lol I think it’s like having a third nut… It’s all about the symmetry lol

2 Likes

But 11 is symmetrical, almost as much as 8! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

hahaha, good point. but with the 18650s, say you have 44 cells for a 11s4p, there’s no oddness out that :stuck_out_tongue:

Lol … But seriously Is it a matter of wiring? Or maybe battery pack formation that make it unappealing?

It’s easy to relate it back to LIPO packs … Hard to justify that extra lipo on a 10s build…is that extra voltage worth it?

No you’re right…especially if we are talking abt symmetry.

10s chargers are easier to find than 11s chargers

True, but you can find a charger for just about anything,it’s just a matter of searching.

1 Like

True I like the cheap chargers whitepony found with “adjustable” voltage idk if any will work with 11s tho

I wonder… if when VESC 6.0 comes out the responses would change.

This is with the assumption that either the gearing is changed or a lower kV motor is used with a higher voltage. If you don’t change the motor, but just up the voltage, you will also pull more Amps. The reason why I point this out is that you didn’t point it out.

Not how I understand it. Assuming the exact same rider, board, and hill. If it takes 1200w of power to go up the hill, at 6s this requires 54 amps, and at 12s this requires 27 amps

1 Like