Why use 18650's over an RC Lipo Pack?

I do a lot of bombing up hills which is one of the main reasons I use Lipos.

3 Likes

Sounds good, definitely excited to try them out next time.

I pull a amp or two shy of 80 amps on acceleration and over 3000 watts combined. Basically hooked from racing my friend and now thatā€™s just how I ride for fun. I have a 11s4p pack and itā€™s pretty good for cruising but now I need more amps/less voltage sag

@pxss power gain from lipos is useless, 4p 18650 pack is enough for mtb? Try explaining that to @nowind . Imo lipos are the obvious choice for a small powerful pack. 18650 in a big enough parallelā€‹ pack is the best choice. The question is how big(and heavy), is big enough. Pxss if a 11s4p 25r battery sags 5v, how much voltage sag can we expect if the cells where 30q -asking for a friend lol

Another data point that pretty much matches your statement.

12s4p 25r single 6374 16/36

Steep hill climb at 25mph (top speed on this setup is around 27-28)

VESC 4 got to 80c at the top, at a little over a minute.

Pretty steady draw of 35-40a and 1200w over about a minute, with a peak of 48a and 1700w lasting about 2 seconds. 3v to 3.5v sag.

1 Like

You also have to keep in mind that rider weight is a big factor. If you put 10kg more on the board, youĀ“ll experience a good amount of more power needed. So a 60kg rider might never reach 60A constant up hill, while my fat 90kg ass (+backpack, helmet and stuff) will easily go over that :slight_smile:

1 Like

IMO yes, it is. 30Q cells can draw up to 30A continuously as long as you keep them under 80C. 4*30 = 120A. That is more than plenty for almost everything. A 10S lipo of similar size would have 5000mAh and you would be drawing 24C at that point. If you need more power then a 6P can provide up to 180A and still be smaller than a Lipo. Anything above that, go with a Lipo. Again, unless you are bombing uphill as @Namasaki does or have other extreme circumstances, 30Qs are better.

Drawing 80A from a 11S4P 25R should sag it 6.6V at 50% capacity from 39.6V to 33V while the 30Q sags 4.4V from 40.5V to 36.1V at the same capacity. This translates to 9.3% more power and 33.3% less heat produced

1 Like

This is very very true. Thatā€™s why i base my performance specs on a 150-160 pound rider and say that up front. Then tune the vescs to not pull more than the BMS can handle and what ends up happening is the board just kind of gets slower as the rider weight increases, which from a laymanā€™s perspective would seem to make the most sense. Tripping the BMS obviously isnā€™t something you want happening.

we keep creeping up on motor amps and pulley ratios trying to see exactly what we can get out of 12S 60 amp BMSs.

Also i have 13S BMSs and extra cells and a 13S charger. Soon Ru (review unit, my yellow board) is going to either go faster or smoke the FOCBOXES in there. I feel pretty confident that a FOCBOX can handle 13S if the settings are right without exploding too much. Iā€™m going to do it for science regardless of this projectā€™s obvious ā€œhold my beerā€ flavor. People have told me it wonā€™t. I never listen. I do what i want.

4 Likes

As always: We want a magic smoke video! :monkey:

its all about use cases. If i was bare bones racing regularly iā€™d be on lipos and iā€™d probably have a way of swapping packs that didnā€™t involve dropping the box. Lipos really are a solid option for enthusists who love to tinker because they are lighter and smaller and less expensive but also have less cycle life so they need more attention.

1 Like

sidenote, will a 8s4p have noticeable difference in performance over 8s3p both samsung 30q cells single motor lightweight, is its with the hassle of upgrading from 3p to 4p

Guys thank you about the Samsung 30Q discovery, I did know about HG2 in 3000mAh but 30Q is a good alternative from 25R.

I mean, never looked at its discharge ratings and temp !

I just had a 12s7p 30q made and am relally unimpressed with everything about them

LOL what

Iā€™m getting a 12s7p and by every stardard I know, the only ā€˜badā€™ thing about the pack is the weight :joy:

Can you be a little more descriptive?

2 Likes

Maybe heā€™s used to big power ?

Thatā€™s a 140A / 6000w pack tho so I donā€™t know either :sweat_smile: Sounds powerful to me and big range too !

@Achmed20 - Great Question. And, Great answers.

I personally stay with the LiPoā€™s because I want to travel with my board.

Airlines restrict lithium batteries by wattage, and by the pack. Now - every airline may very a little in their policy(check with your airline), but for the most part (In the US), batteries are limited to 100 watts, ā€œcarry on onlyā€, 2 extra batteries. That means - I can take my 5s (18.5v nominal x 5ah = 92.5w) batteries along with me on my trips.

Note: NEVER allow your lithium batteries in the cargo hold of an aircraft. Itā€™s illegal in most countries, and you could find yourself in a lot of trouble. Its our responsibility to know the rules. Yes, Li batteries are shipped NEW from china in a cargo aircraft - that is different.

Second NOTE: Airport security in most countries do not hire the most Li friendly and knowledgeable folks. Therefor, just because you say the battery is legal to carry on an airplane does not mean they will let it through. If the battery does not clearly say the Wattage on the battery - they probably wont let it through. Some LiPoā€™s say the wattage on the battery, some donā€™t.

If anyone has had experience with this, please share :slight_smile:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

1 Like

Couple of guys have made or are using kinda like 10/12S-1P packs in parallel and havenā€™t had any fuss in the check-in so far. Canā€™t find the thread it was on tho

Also the quite short paragraph about batteries onboard airplanes has still room to specially state that no DIY batteries are allowed, but if you can make it look legit and can spill all kinds of convincing technical jargon at the clipboard warrior looking at it I bet you have faar bigger chances of getting a pass. Also to use all these kinda LiPo ā€˜fireproofā€™ bags and maybe even a small carry-on case for them (?)

image image

Iā€™m also in the process of trying to come up with a universal( read: does everything, but half-assedly;) ) build or something along the idea image

Also, Iā€™m still afraid of that happening to a lipo pack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JECJAgRsp-4 tho itā€™s more like phobia unless Iā€™d pinch a penny andā€™d go for the dirt-cheap factory third shiftā€™s backdoor lipos from taobao and the likes

1 Like

Nice ideas if you can solve the strength issues! Why ditch the foldable concept ?

Well most of the specs that are described in the picture are in some form still in the build (theoretically all Ok but lots of practical testing still to be made) but there are many loose ends still. Kinda apples vs oranges situations:P Tho the batteries are done (theoretically) Iā€™m taking it slowly and holistically - pretty common to be hyper about one idea on one day only to find out how unrealistic and -practial it acctually is later on)

this is the M1:1 size drawup with notes and details of the ā€˜deattachableā€™ middle section, but still very WIP. Iā€™ll give a holistic review some time again just to see if anything pop ups again

Also the molds for everything have been cut, just need to finish, assemble and prepareā€¦ the whole house is full overgrown bush of work that would badly need trimming a bit x0

image image

Ahh yes Iā€™m still convinced strenght wouldnā€™t be an issue as thereā€™s pretty big bending momentum on all the joints due to 20mm thickness. I will also be using heavy unidirectional, medium bi directional and lightweight bidirectional glass reinforcements only. Also very easy to add material later on tho itā€™s still unknown

1 Like