[WIKI] A beginner guide to DIY an ESK8

Hi guys!

I’m new here. Anyone know if lithium pouches are suitable for an electric skateboards? I have been seeing tons of builds using AA batteries for their builds on this forum, and i am wondering why… is it because they are cheaper?

Yea lipos would work, and no those are not double As my dude. 18650 lithium ion cells are commonly used.

heaps of info about this query, check these search results: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/search?q=lipo%20vs%2018650

1 Like

Ahhh thank you my good man.

Can I ask what you will recommend for a drive system? Should i go hubs as a beginner? Is easier? I have never built an electric skateboard before.

read this: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/is-diy-esk8-right-for-you/84563

Sweet. That’s really helpful. Certainly good enough to get me started.

Hey guys im new here and in the process of making my first electric skateboard. I Have lots of questions on parts were im stuck and came here for help and answers

what does it mean when my led battery indicator on my esc is only 1 out of 4 does it have to do with the type of battery i have?

(I’m new to this so I don’t know why it said I can’t put images on a post , but I can show you the board and everything if needed)

Hello I’m building my board from the koolwheel gen 1 esc and wheels and it didn’t come with a remote so I though I would buy the Van Pro remote and receiver but now that I got it I have no clue where to put it . I am pretty sure there is a built in receiver in the board which some how connects to the power button but I don’t know how to connect it with the receiver from the Van Pro. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks for the wonderful resource! :heart_eyes:

Great to see this public! Is this on the other forum as well? Such a valuable thread. Thanks

Hey everyone, im doing my first eskate build and i just recently received all the parts. Im not quite sure what this wire is coming out of the FSESC, it has 26AWG on the three wires that are red black and white. I have my remote connected to the vesc already. What does it do, do I need another part? Thanks!

Super useful post! :ok_hand:

Working on my first build also Good luck to you I’m.using chi battery pack

Hey brotha man… I finally started getting some parts together for my build for this spring… So far I’ve bought the FOCBOX Unity, the Flipsky 6374 “battle hardened” motors, torque trucks and 90mm wheels, Dragon “race” bearings, 20t motor pulley and a 32t kegel wheel pulley. Now the last major part I have to choose is the battery… I’m Pretty decided on a 12s3p battery but I’m having an impossible time choosing one… I’ve been looking at the Backfire 12s3p battery and the Mboard 12s3p. They use different cells and have different specs for performance numbers… do you have any advice on the best 12s3p battery for $400 that will fit my needs. Looking for that 45+mph and 30 mile(ish) range…

Thanks man… This build started fun and is now getting a little stressful… def more money then I thought I’d be putting into it… Haha…

Thank you for your time,

Rob

would you mind posting the links to those batteries? also iff ur eu based i might be able to make build you a battery pack though it could take some time given that i don’t have the parts and would have to order them. is your choice for 12s3p due to size or price?