Willpark16 “situation “

If none of the packs are new and you’ve previously ridden them hard enough to cause flex and shift your likely all good. That being said, likely is no sure thing.

If your not familiar with battery pack construction I would suggest finding someone local who is and have them pull the heat shrink and visually subject each pack to an inspection. If they are good then reapply heat and tide like a beat :grin:.

4 Likes

Are they likely safe just sitting there not in use? So as long as I leave them be for the time being they’ll be fine? I’m just paranoid at this point.

1 Like

once again, they are likely to be safe if undisturbed but that’s not a guarantee.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much if it’s been good. This was a REPAIRED battery. And he just did a bad job on it. I know he has a spot welder (he sold one recently) so why he decided to use solder is beyond me. Also instead of bridging in the center on the cell terminal he did it on the edges. So one strip of copper or nickel was above four cells. Potential of short increases on the positive terminal especially since he used solder.

3 Likes

Ugh this is so frustrating. I think i may have to reach out to a professional. Do you guys know of anyone in Atlanta? Would a place like Batteries Plus be able to do something like this? They offer custom batteries on their website.

1 Like

Any reason you are not using Bara and psychotiller? Kinda the goto for safely built batteries.

Batteries plus doesn’t handle li-ion or lipo, they still might look them over though. Just thought that might be removed.

There’s a guy in Birmingham who has built some badass battery packs, my friend and yours, @Sender :grin:. That’s pretty close to Atlanta. I’m not suggesting you ship them, but maybe y’all can get together and figure out the logistics.

2 Likes

if you strip off all the tape and shrink and get tons of good pics from all angles i bet everyone here could tell you if it’s ok

7 Likes

Is it safe to remove the shrink? I’m just trying to be as careful as possible, and if @psychotiller burned himself, I don’t like my odds

i think it’s worth doing just to learn, and we’d all likely learn. i dont know what caused that battery to short but surely we can figure out if yours has any risks with good enough photos. sure fine to remove the big shrink and tape over the whole pack. dont do it with something metal. do it carefully and i think you know what to do. keep all the cells as stationary as possible when you take the tape off to avoid a cell being pulled along with the shrink or tape. maybe do it outside or somewhere you can contain it if need be until you can rush it outside. I dont remember if the 30Qs have a pressure valve but id take it apart in a very quiet place and listen for a possible valve releasing or snapping shorts. and keep feeling the cells for any possible heat. the only real dangerous side of the cells is the positive terminal. the rest of the cell is all negative and just that little bit of insulation (or i see at least there are donuts on the positive so that’s a big plus)

8 Likes

This pack is a fucking mess! There were hot spots and shorts all over it. I’m just now starting to get back to taking it apart.

To whom it may concern. Don’t make or touch batteries anymore.IMG_20180829_135146

12 Likes

@Mikenopolis , 12 of the cells from the hot side of the pack were toast. We’re not using them for anything and they’ve been disposed of.

That leaves you enough cells for a 10s6p.

6 Likes

did you want Will’s address. that’s the disposal site

26 Likes

:smile: hahaha

5 Likes

Jesus Lord this is scary…what a shitty battery…do we know who originally built the battery?

THROW THAT SHIT AWAY

4 Likes

We do! In the title…

Haha it it were mine, I would

I was under the impression that it was built by someone else and then changed hands multiple times before getting into this state

Agreed!

That pack is starting to remind me of movie…

“Christine” (1983)

1 Like