Wiring up an in-line fuse

Fuses are related to current only. Current above fuse rated current heats up the element and when it is hot enough it melts and breaks the circuit 10A on a 100V curcuit has the same melting power as 10A on a 10V circuit. Above is true for a simple wire fuse(such as auto fuse) Cheers

1 Like

Thanks, that makes sense.

But does a fuse with lower voltage rating cause a significant voltage drop then, or what’s the point of using fuses with matching voltage rating?

Well. I haven’t actually gotten to mounting them. Though I did buy and receive them already. Bought from arrow to save in shipping and ended paying more in import fees but ohh well…

Bought a bunch of these for a couple of different size battery packs. And planning to 3d print something to mount them.

Also got a bunch of these to protect charging sockets and the vescs from other electronics failure.

All rated to 58V and automotive category so pretty sure they will hold up to the power and vibrations

1 Like

Thank you SO much for the pics with a ruler next to them, helps a lot in getting better picture than dimensions alone

the volt drop across a fuse is proportional to its (very low) resistance and is nothing to do with the voltage rating.

2 Likes

The voltage rating is linked to the lenght of the air gap created when the wire element melts. I have used and blown a number of 12V auto fuses on a 42V circuit with no problems.

2 Likes

You are welcome. It does also help me get an idea of what it’s going to take up in the enclosure. Did anyone notice I fucked up with the hole size of the big fuses…I didn’t. I thought I ordered same size for both ratings