WTB airless DiYeboard AT wheels

Regarding recommendations: I have had a chance to use the dickyho wheels linked above pretty hard (for a 190lb old man) this week commuting 5-10miles each way on crappy roads. The wheels are 1000x better on my old bones than 90mm thane and they hold together well. I skated a lot in my youth so I like to carve. I tried to see if I could roll the rubber off the rim, i think I started to feel some deformation in a ~25mph corner that wanted to turn into a slide, but that’s pushing it for me (my family needs me alive), and in “normal-to-peppy” riding they are perfectly adequate. On a sraight course i feel these wheels are good to al least 30mph (I’m still working up the stones to go that fast on my new board). That said, these wheels are not manufactured to arerospace standards (it’s a skateboard not a rocket ship), so if you need wheels to go 30-40+mph, you will likely need “rocket ship” parts, lol… perhaps trampa and bergermister (I have not tried these so cannot compare).

Long story short: @dickyho wheels are great budget wheels for most of those who esk8, especially longer distance/rough commuting. They are tough, smooth and comfortable. I even heard @chrischo1996 “might” have had a car run over the wheels and he’s still rocking them as far as I know. So far I am very happy for the price I paid.

1 Like

Wow thanks man I really appreciate the in-depth review! I’m around 180lbs and more comfortable even around the 20mph range being only about a month into the hobby/sport. Sounds like that may be my best go to option. I like the airless idea but if this many people have commented stating they are unsafe I’d rather not risk my life and money. Don’t see anyone in my state on any eboards yet so the public doesn’t understand that capabilities and speed . But sounds like this will be the perfect fit until I can continue to save to really build a nice trampa style board. So thank you again man!

1 Like

Cool, that was pretty much my plan, get some cheap big wheels now and save up for something nice later…seems like the diyeboard wheels were duds, I don’t think they are the same wheel as the dickyho wheel, but I could be wrong.

Agree, have been using the set of the airless tires from Dickyho for around 50km now and they are holding up well!

Probably not as soft as the hole-style, but they dont expand like them during high speed (and probably have less rolling resistance)

1 Like

They are different, diy were airless and they did look nice as they came in some bright colors almost like some evolve wheels I’ve seen. But must’ve been problematic as they only sell them on the full “AT” boards now and don’t sell them anywhere separately

Can confirm, mine were ran over to the point where the trucks bent like taffy and the rubber slid off about a quarter of an inch, but once I popped the rubber back into place they’re good as new. I regularly hit 30mph on these wheels, but can’t say how they perform at higher speeds. IMG_20190208_192855

1 Like

Bought a set from dicky including trucks, motormounts, pulleys, belts, motors and airless wheels a couple of weeks ago. For the price im really impressed. Used the set for about 50km so far and i even hit 60 km/h with the airless wheels (replaced the bushings). Havent noticed any deformation or other issues with the wheels

1 Like

Crazy, glad you’re ok

@chrischo1996 what gearing do you use? is that the abec pulley?