Y piece or canbus

I have done just that with the mini RC remote and it works. Don’t know if it will work with nano remote You’ll just have to try it and see.

1 Like

Spent last night resoldering connections on my new focboxes and getting everything setup.

I went with the split ppm route instead of can (previous dual TB vescs over can fried a drv instantly)

I used only a signal wire into the second vesc. Both vescs were set up as master. Throttle min and max were the same on both vescs, but always verify it yourself through live reading.

One of my motors was about 200 miles older than my other. So I had to set one motor at +60A max and another at +50A max to ensure both are spinning at the same rate.

Motor/battery settings were +50/-50/+15/-7 for each of the 6355’s being powered on a 12s4p pack.

Working great so far. Torque is impressive and braking is sooo much better. Can actually come to a dead stop.

1 Like

@cwazy1 I just ordered my second TB vesc and the can cable to connect them together. I don’t want that to happen to me too. Was it just bad luck?

make sure both VESCs have power if you’re connecting CAN. If CAN is connected but only 1 VESC is powered, it’ll blow up the can chip.

3 Likes

If you want to be 100% sure you’re not going to fuck up some can specific configuration, then go split ppm. It really comes down to luck. Unless you NEED traction control you’re not exactly losing a lot and instead gain the confidence that you won’t blow a chip. Also if one of your vesc fails while you’re riding, you’re not in master-slave configuration, you’ll always have the other vesc to slow you down and get you home.

You think it’d be possible to only use can for data like traction control but something else and then run split ppm for remote signal? That way people that wanna use @Ackmaniac’s firmware could be happy but have less failures

This may explain a few failures I’ve had. :confused:

what is the final world about this with Vesc6… i have canbus but debating y-splitter on second build.

Is @trampa stance no Y-cable with their product?

1 Like

No Y. Y will always cause ground loops and should never be used in systems sharing a common ground. It is technically incorrect to connect PPM to two separate controllers. In consequence you should never do that. Better use two receivers if you are desperate for twin PPM.

Frank

2 Likes

Seems like VESC6 has more sensitive parts and does not like split PPM, per frank’s arguments if you read the thread… Since there are not a lot of VESC6s out there, not many people have tested it out.

On VESC with 4.x hardware, split ppm 100% so long as you clip a +5v

My guess is that split Y would work fine on the 6 as well.

Y-PPM always causes ground loops. You don’t want to set up you HW like that.

Frank

I guess a poll would throw up some results as to who has blown up which vesc with which setup?

Loving canbus so far. Reliable and works like a charm.

You say that, but ground doesn’t even need to be hooked up on the second VESC, only the PPM wire needs to be.

Can is better in any way, why are you so obsessed on splitting ppm?..

1 Like

how am i obsessed? this thread is literally asking ppm or split y. I never said one is better than the other and i don’t believe either is.

I used can but it’s very fickle on the connection and having a weak/severed connection causes can to behave erratically and unexpectedly. In my case it caused a wheel to go full throttle with no input. Another time it caused one wheel to stutter. And these incidences were with two different cables. Also breaking a belt on CAN may give you problems as well as @Titoxd10001 has experienced

1 Like

Hi Frank,

I’m still wondering if my custom accessory board won’t create the GNC loop as you say. I posted on VESC project forum but I’m struggling having any answer : http://vesc-project.com/node/162 Somehow, it’s the same as creating a GNC like Y cable, no? So, may I get a confirmation stating I can go this way, and if not, what component should I add to avoid fry anything ?

Many thanks Sir !

Split ppm is simple, safe and reliable. Canbus is complicated, dangerous and unreliable More people have encountered issues with canbus than with split ppm

This is in reference to Vesc4, not Vesc6

I used to use split PPM with Max6 ESC as that was the only option.

Now that I am on the VESC6, I find canbus super convenient… I only need to use the USB cable on one VESC to configure both VESC’s settings.

I do understand your point on redundancy, fail-over. But I haven’t heard of canbus issues on specifically the VESC6 hardware. I don’t know about other versions of the hardware. Also, as these things cost a good chunk of money, I just want to take it under advisement to use the method the vendor recommends – to protect the warranty/investment. The vendor says no Y-PPM due to ground loop circuit then that is probably what advice I will follow.

If there are some canbus VESC6 issues, Trampa would surely resolve them, etc

1 Like