Y piece or canbus

Chosing one out of 3 wires is simple, and connecting 2 wires is complicated… smart… For me, no issues with both, only difference is that i have more funcionality with can.

When I spoke of simplicity, I was referring more to the software settings, not the wiring.

You are smart to follow Trampa’s instructions for the sake of your warranty on Vesc6

jake and i talk about this all the time. He likes split ppm and i like can busses. I prefer traction control and can fwding and minimal/organized wiring and he like breaking traction on one side to throw dirt to irritate cyclists when they talk shit. Can’t do that with traction control.

honestly as far as wiring goes they’re both dead simple easy to get right. Also easy to get wrong. But if you’re at the point where you’re wiring ESCs in your board then you are already aware of how wrong things can get on even the simplest tasks when you’re not paying attention.

4 Likes

I’ll point Benjamin at your schematics.

Frank

2 Likes

Spot the cash to replace my two and I’ll test it for you :stuck_out_tongue:

To be fair wiring your motors to your ESCs incorrectly can also cause serious problems…

You can wire wrong on both setups, not sure what you mean

You’re fear of can you said was due to how bad it can be when wired incorrectly or even when shit breaks between the bus, what I’m saying is that the same can be said about motor to ESC too, it’s just how it all works :frowning:

I never talked about wiring it wrong. I’ve had my CAN connection be “semi-connected” because the wire frayed or the connection was loose. This caused very odd behavior where 1 wheel would spin by itself and the other wouldn’t, or it’d have other weird behavior. If a split Y frays, you just dont get response to that wheel.

2 Likes

As I said below, not saying Y isn’t a good choice. But I get what you mean :slight_smile:

hey @Namasaki i finally tried this because i noticed a small delay with the split ppm and getting poor signal at very low speed while walking / running two small dogs.

anyway, scavenged a receiver from an extra remote and it’s WAY better responding than the split PPM.

but now i have a small problem with remotes without receivers so wanted to get extra receivers.

only receivers on their own i could find on banggood is $17 just for the receiver so looking elsewhere for a cheaper option.

found these 2.4ghz receivers on aliexpress, but just wondering if they’d be compatible with the 2.4ghz mini (product description says they’re for gtb2 and its variants).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5PCS-LOT-Flysky-FS-GR3C-GR3C-FS-GR3E-GR3E-3CH-2-4Ghz-Receiver-For-FS-GT3B/32231952259.html

1 Like

Those receivers from Aliexpress are $26.86 and I don’t know if they are compatible. You can buy the Mini remote with receiver from eBay for $17.59 with free shipping Anyway, it’s a good idea to have extra transmitters in case the one your using gets lost or damaged during a fall. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4GHz-Radio-Remote-Controller-w-Receiver-Binding-Plug-for-Electric-Skateboard/263054079597?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D47bb037213004404b160c94c7baa9171%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D232284516689%26itm%3D263054079597&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

1 Like

yea it’s $27 for 5 receivers though.

ok I won’t risk it then, just have some extras lying around, no worries.

They’re gt3b receivers? Someone must have them and see if they can pair them with the mini remote. Pretty sure we managed to do this when we were testing @Russell23 vesc and battery a while back?

1 Like

Ok, I misread the site.

Edit; Oh… you were after mini receivers…

Using a split PPM cable; is it ok to have both 5V wires going to the receiver? I think I remember someone saying that iy should only have one power wire.

right, but the question is do these receivers work for both…?

yup, cut one of the 5v:

What happens if you don’t?