Yin-Yang | 3D printed dual mtb motor mounts [Development]

Damn, that looks good and tempting! Is this going to be sold as ready to use out of the box, or will there also be a kit? Open source/ open materials?

1 Like

Im currently thinking a bit of both, as some of the components are more likely to get damaged in shipping that others if pre assembled due to its size - and it might save some Ā£Ā£Ā£ on shipping a large box around.

That being said, the current version only take roughly 1-2 hours to assemble from scratch. and I personally think if you assemble some parts like the hotend for example - people would be less scared to switch out nozzles to try something new.

As for open source, I forgot to mention this above, but all the design files, all the suppliers, all the custom code will be made available, including my personal journals about what problems I ran into while developing this (whenever I get around to typing it up)

2 Likes

I built my prusa from a kit, I have no problem with doing it again. And the savings are definitely a plus :wink: Could you show us some samples or videos so we can get an idea of what itā€™ll be like?

2 Likes

What goes into designing and making a 3D printer? Incoming stupid questions

Are you designing a sturdy frame and platform. And other stuff like levelling etc

Then using good off the shelf parts? Or is there more to it

2 Likes

@moon none of those are stupid questions, these are things that we need to know before we buy. Hereā€™s another one for you @notepad: If Iā€™m reading the pictures right, the z-axis moves the whole bed, rather than the extruder, right? How many steppers+worm gears are you using? Or is it something else?

2 Likes

Yeah I just like to know how stuff are designed, just to learn somethingā€¦

2 Likes

@High-roller I cant show any more just yet as we only just started doing the promotional material about a week ago, and the final 2 prototypes have been shipped away for EU certification.

@moon tbh making a printer is super easy, its ironing out the little quirks each design has is where it becomes time consuming and difficult. At first I purchased a handful of the more ā€œpremiumā€ printers to see how they overcame problems, which covered versions 1-10, before moving onto how the subĀ£300 printers are manufactured. And surprisingly enough, those cheaper ones had much better frames than the more expensive ones.

The main problems actually come down to the flex materials have, hence why we are now using ballistic steel (its like 5p more expensive than mild steel, why not use it :smiley: ) for the brackets, and removing and 90deg brackets for the frame and instead threading the aluminium itself and bolting them together.

Theres lots of weird design choices that end up being surprisingly effective - donā€™t hesitate to ask any questions, ill be more than happy to answer.

@High-roller yes you are right, the bed is what moves in the z direction.

Currently we have decided to go with only one stepper with a 4mm pitch lead-screw. we did test having 2 screws with 4 linear rods for constraint, we even tested replacing two of the linear rods with the screws themselves (which worked out surprisingly good, so we might do that for a larger printer) but after lots of testing, the machine didnā€™t have any negatives with only using 1 z-axis motor with proper 4 linear rod constraints. Mix in the 25 point bed levelling and even the slightest bit of misalignment is corrected in software.

1 Like