10mm pure nickel strip(WTB, USA)/ BATTERY SPOT WELDING DISCUSSION

Result of my pack shorting itself on the carbon fiber deck(old CGT pack in the background)

1 Like

Figured that out real quick :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: . I currently have a large rock on top of the welder until I get it strapped down properly.

Ouch, this is what I use for insulation and wrapā€¦

1 Like

After building a couple of packs, I can confidently say those circular cap rings for the positive end are super necessary to have a safe pack.

@RootedSuperuser have you tested yourself that those dime coin roll packs fit 18650ā€™s without issue? If so where did you order? Donā€™t wanna order 1000 here and not have them fit(https://goo.gl/t651Ay)

If you have a ā€œdollarā€ store near you they usually have bags of coin rolls

I actually do have a few local dollar stores around here. Iā€™ll check it out, thanks man

To be fair, that pic is filled with mechanical bends which will obviously fracture, reducing the amount of material the power has to flow through, increasing resistance and melting the metal. This thing looks like it was hit by a car. If i saw a pack like that come across my bench its not time to repair it. Itā€™s time to bin it with the rest of the cells for hazmat disposal.

This isnā€™t a case for using nickel, its a case for using better enclosures.

A case for using pure nickel would be cooler operation, higher discharge rates, and longer battery life. Not mechanical strength. Packs arenā€™t meant to be structural and if you expect them to be you have a lot of disappointment ahead.

Also easy on the bold caps. Your response made my initial draft replies a lot more vicious than usual. Itā€™s too early to be editing myself with the expectation of a professional result.

Thatā€™s exactly what i do. Except without the pedal. At first i was doing the pedal but then i somehow managed to get the pressure right while just holding it and just pushing upwards. OR maybe i just got used to the manual acrobatics. I want a wand.

Iā€™m modding my 788 with a wand soldered directly to the transformer inside , ill let you know how that goes :wink:

is there any cons for using this spacers ? im planning to put ring insulator and this one together, will it be the safest ?

1 Like

Other than taking up more space they are perfectly fine

1 Like

Did not read every post in this thread but it sounds like you guys are still looking for quality nickel strips. You do know that Nkon also sells nickel strips donā€™t you? Considering their reputation I am confident that they donā€™t sell only plated steel but pure nickel. When I ordered the price was pretty good when ordering 5m and up. Nowadays they also have the slotted version.

I bought spacers, but they ate up too much additional room for me to fit my 10s4p pack. Iā€™d love to use them if they didnā€™t eat up any additional space. They add about 3-4mm between each cell.

1 Like

You are the second person to recommend them. I have seen that they have a pretty good reputation here, and a little on endless sphere too. I just ordered 10 meter, total came out to $23 usd shipped(not bad i guess). Iā€™ll report back when it arrives.

link for 10mmx 0.15: https://ru.nkon.nl/accessories/welding-material/nikkel-battijersoldeerstrip-10mm.html

1 Like

Hey I was wondering if you could clarify your post a bitā€¦

You wrote .010" and .015". Did you mean .10mm and .15mm?

I ask because .015" is .38mm, which is much thicker than anything Iā€™ve seen on the market. Likewise .010" is .25mm, which is available but still very thick, and most spot-welders cannot handle it from what Iā€™ve read

Hey Can you explain in detail please whats your method is? Thanks in advance.

Cheers Jens

Can you link to that insulation (shrink wrap?) and those battery top stickers? Diypowerwalls.com just goes to a forum.

1 Like

Thanks ā€“ what about those red little circle tabs?