10s 4p lithium Ion battery

The reason im trying to learn how to make a Li Ion battery is that lipos are so much harder to Maintain then liion just gotta learn a lot before doing it.

This is what I did. Keep in mind, the full battery current will flow across those black lines.

What I would do is spot weld a single layer of nickel strip, and then solder some copper wire or strip across the top of the braid. This is safer than soldering directly to the cells because the heat can only get to the cells through the spot welds. Still, be careful and keep the heat applied to a minimum (Use lots of flux, it helps.)

Take a look in the ā€œfishpaper and cell-level fusingā€ thread, they have some really good advice for building packs too.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the help, everything just became a lot more clear. This is why i love this form.

Just a quick question will a sunko work on a 15 amp breaker or no?

My 10s builds use Lipos with bms and brick charger and they are no harder to maintain than Li-ion packs.

2 Likes

I used the Sunko 60a welder on a 15a breaker running it on the highest output and maximum pulses and it never tripped the breaker. When I tried to use the cheaper 30a welder, it did trip the breaker. Probably because the cheaper 30a welders have an inferior transformer and draw more current on the primary side even though they have half the output on the secondary. Iā€™m not an electronic engineer but thats my guess.

My 30a welder cost about $90 My 60a welder cost about $200 Maybe the Diy welder is the best way to go

1 Like

Ok thanks I look at going diy.

i just setup my arduino spotwelder v3 all you need is a 3s 5000mah 60c lipo to go with it ultra portable for a spotwelder and does great spot welds, little bit putting together but all the parts are there and full instructions ā€¦great spotwelder and cheap.

website to buy itā€¦

instrucable all about itā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for the help

no problem its great been working with old laptop cells about doo my boards battery. very easy to put together with a soldering iron

Alright now just gotta get the batteries at a good deal and find the right bms.

for the batteries id go 30q from nkon.nl and the bms uv choices but chinas your best bet

Ok thanks Ill see what I can get.