10s2p Does it lookes correct?

Hi there. Before i get al kind of good advice about The Best Practice is a spot welder… I dont have one, and i dont Want to solder it… but Got hold of these plastic holders and Wanted to make a batterypack. I have never build a pack before. Does it lookes ok?

do yourself a favor and throw those holders away.

5 Likes
1 Like

I don’t think you can get away without soldering or spot welding, all the alternatives aren’t very practical since they don’t hold a lot of current.

This is what I foresee with this setup. Vibration causing the batteries to have intermittent connection while arcing and melting the tabs. The only question is will that make this setup fail first or the high current that these holders are not made to handle.

3 Likes

Yeh i would advise to beefen up connections and really secure the secure the cells, if u plan to go this route…

Not sure what spotwelding in USA might cost, but u might as well order modules and then assemble the pack by soldering wires to the modules…

As @ZackoryCramer said, it might be hard to avoid spotwelding or soldering. There are a few physical connection designs available but i heard they are also not that robust and might loose connection or has relatively low amp rate

Though make sure to check what others have done and how much success they had with it. Im sure there should be good examples around on how it shouls be done.

Search for sled battery or similar.

1 Like

Your best bet is to solder some thicker wire (10,12,14awg) onto the battery tabs. That way the high current will pass through the wire and not the tabs. It also means the batteries will be a tighter fit. Then use hot glue to hold the batteries in place

1 Like

I understand your concerns and not a fan of these holders as well but the cells could be glued int the holders with e.g. silicone to prevent intermittent connections?

That might solve the issue of vibration and bumps but there is still the problem of their high voltage and high current limitation.

1 Like