12s3p A123 26650 pack in progress :D

I haven’t had the time to work on it more…but when I finish it will be posted here for sure!

Any updates, @L3thaltank? It’d be very interesting to see your progress.

1 Like

Battery Pack Dimensions: 21" Long x 6.75" Wide x 2.25" Tall (highest point) Weight: Approximately 13.6 lb

3 Likes

Have you tried it out yet? I’m thinking of doing a 12s2p with the same cells.

I haven’t tried it out yet… As soon as I finish dialing in my setup and making my enclosure I’ll make a build thread with updates. I have been super busy lately.

Do it. They are awesome cells. A 1P pack is good enough but 2P would be great. Slight expensive though. The benefits are worth it though.

Yeah, I think I’ll do it. Gotta source some batteries now!

Any news on this pack? I’m going to build one too, as soon as I get the cells and am wondering about what BMS to use. Does anybody have a recommendation for a a123 12s3p pack with the correct charging protection voltage and amperage? For discharging, I am planning to use the VESC, in order not to worry about expensive BMS or a power bottleneck. Although, I guess a 120A would do for a two motor setup which are rated to 50A max peak each. I hope the VESCs have a good reputation concerning undercharging protection.

Im just using a 15A bms for charging and bypassing it for discharge.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/222302389040

It is forbidden to soldering the battery poles. Poor tech!

Lots of people solder battery cells frokm what I read. Copper strips just wont hold enough current to work in this application.

That’s why exist is welding with nickel band, because can care more amps !

Take a look here : www.elektrofietsaccu.nl

This is most excellent, I haven’t ran my pack down to vesc cutoff yet. I have it set to 2.8 and 2.7. So there is even more in it. I’m using a self built 8s3p A123 pack. So far according to the metr app the last run I did was 14+kms and I’m still sitting at 3.2v per cell.i honestly thought something was wrong. When I have time I’m going to try and drain the pack.

So 8s3p A123 is 198 wh as far as I know. I have the same BMS shown above, but its the 80 amp version. It say it balances for 3.5v per cell which is 28v. How much capacity am I losing by not getting to 3.6v? My gut tells me that i’m at or very near 95%.

These cells don’t act like other cells like said above. Am I just running efficiently or am I missing something? I was calculating 198wh divided by 10 to get 19kms distance. It seems I could exceed that fairly well. The regen on this ride gave me 2km more worth of distance. Something happened with the map part, but the distance and everything else seem right. Its a dual 230kv 16/40 97mm setup.

1 Like

I can confirm running my pack right to 2.75 cutoff start and 2.6 cutoff end. I had to walk up a few hills but did small stretches on the flat. Ended pushing the rest of the way 1/2 km. I travelled 21.5km. Very happy about that.

Hey everyone, just wondering if I could use this BMS with the 26650 cells, thanks!

10S 60A active bms 2017 new Li-ion smart bms pcm with android Bluetooth app UART correspondence bms wi software (APP) monitor

Yeah it works great. Everything is configurable. I use it for charge only. The only thing is the bluetooth module unfortunately has a bit of drain, would be smart to put a switch on its power line.

These units can be reconfigured for up to 16s by bridging or unbridging some solder pads and changing some settings.

Oh you should get the one for lifepo4. The units are the same but the settings will be good to go out of the box.

Awesome thanks for the help! Would I be able to charge with a 42v 2a power like in my 18650 pack?

Yeah it’s excellent for charging slightly less than full as you can configure when and how it balances, and watch what it’s doing.