190kv too high for 12s?

hah thanks for story… hadnt heard of turnigys burning out… so was really curious… :smiley:

then it was more of a technical failure than a physicial/electronic one directly to the motor.

Do the motors get hot because if not u can surely go up if the cells can. With the same settings on a bigger motor should be prett much same power possible

I have similar settings and it still felt sluggish. Played with throttle curve and there is no way I can stay on the board if my finger accidentally pressed full throttle now. 6355s

i use 190kv motors on 12S all the time. Its basically all i build with at all ever.

My boards don’t throw you when you hit top speed, they just don’t go any faster.

I’ve been close to 40mph before but haven’t quite gotten there yet because i’m still only using 15T motor pulleys. I want some 16s and 17s.

1 Like

Do you set up any limiters like max erpm?

Yeah! But you will loose throttle regulation as 80% and 100% will feel the same

That is true. I don’t think dual 6374 would be any different though. I think that’s just how the vesc operates, I cannot seem to find the middle ground between speed level and punch level like a regular car esc that has separate punch level setting.

You can tune your current ramp up if you do like crazy torque from a dead stop.

Yeah I changed ramp up. I meant punch throughout the throttle curve. Still experimenting

Try a smaller drive pulley, a lot more power on mid range

not usually. Is something supposed to happen if i don’t? because it hasn’t happened yet, whatever it is.

Just wondering, since I’m sure you know about the the whole 60k+ eRPM == blown VESC thing. Glad to hear you haven’t had any issues though! Gives me confidence since I’m about to slap on 230kv’s motors to my 10s build.

1 Like

My point is a vesc has different power dilivery than a car esc imo. Car ESCs feel linear in speed yet punchy. Vesc feel current base so you have to jam throttle to get a punch and adjust accordingly for speed. A vesc will make you think 6355s are weak, but they’re not. Limiting factor will most likely be battery and for sure vesc if you’re not using direct fet version.

I got 16T and 18T in 12mm.

1 Like

Where in the BLDC tool can you set the power curve? Or are you just referring to the start-up boost?

Extended bldc tool by @ackmaniac has adjustable throttle curve

1 Like

To start using the @Ackmaniac firmware the throttle is super predictable and pairing this to dual 6374-190Kv and a 12S battery pack, the starting torque is just no comparison to the dual 6355.

You should give it a try, it’s just pure fun. Riding alone or with tandem.

For a mountain board I would surely go with 6374s. On urethane dual 6355s are enough for me after trying out max6 and seeing what the potential is in terms of acceleration. The settings​ on a vesc (sue me trampa) need to be set really high, values that id never reach to get similar feeling. Thats has been my experience. I have tried single 6374, yet try dual. How many amps do you pull on dual 6374 setup?

I need to get a android device to log it in realtime. My set up is as follows 12S-4P LG HG2 3.6v x 12= 43.2V x 3 x x4 = 518.4wh And I get 20 miles range on this set. 518.40 / 20 = 25.92 Wh/mile :blush: My gearing is 40T/16T on 97mm flywheels.

Comparing it to my wife board it’s the same setup but with dual 6355 and a range of 24 miles. It will be 518.40/24= 21.60 Wh/mile

2 Likes

The difference of a Max6 to a VESC is that it runs with duty cycle control. So when you give like 20% throttle it tries to reach 20% of the motors kv speeed. So it kicks in with very high power because it knows that it is too slow at startup and tries as hard as it can to reach that speed. this makes it hard to control the power, because to get a smooth acceleration you constantly have to slowly increase the throttle.

The duty cycle control mode of the VESC works more or less the same. Biggest difference is that it also trys to slow down when you release the throttle. That can be changed in the software but current control (and watt control) is much more advanced. You don’t control the speed, instead you control the current. So for example 20 % throttle would result in 20% acceleration at all speeds.

I haven’t driven a Max6 to be honest but that is more or less how it works.

1 Like