190kv too high for 12s?

@Ackmaniac Nice explanation! This might describe why I witness ‘delay’’ when applying throttle, it just cannot keep it up as quickly to accelerate the motor so fast.

Though I havent tried other settings for acceleration as these are not as good for startup.

Thanks for explaing, once again!

i’m confused as duty cycle is based on motor speed so a 20% increase in throttle will make the motor want to go 20% faster and it will pour out amps to get there I guess (and lots of instant power), but with current control a 20% increase in throttle would result in a 20% acceleration at all speeds. Can you please elaborate on the distinction between the two. I’d think a 20% increase in acceleration would net you 20% increase in speed or something about that but the real question is: why is it harder to get to max amp draw with the current control than the duty cycle control irronically as it’s named “current control”

It’s not harder, you only need to pull the trigger more. And who knows at which current the Max6 stops.

Let’s say your board can go 40 km/h max because then you kv are reached and you are doing 50% throttle from a standstill. And your max motor amps are 80A.

In Duty Cycle Control that would pull you with 80A like a bull to 20 km/h and then keeps that speed.

In Current Control it would accelerate you with half the allowed motor amps (40A) till max speed. Because the 40A would be easily enough to reach that speed.

The acceleration is of course not the same at all speeds because of the increasing resistance from nature forces which want to stop you. The torgue is the same. But we went through this acceleration example too many times already. Need to be more careful in the future.

1 Like

What do u mean about “easy enough to get there” with half the current even though in current control and full throttle? From asking on vedder’s forum I was told w the current control the load will determine the current besides the throttle pull so if u have the motor amp limit very high, which I had, I still was unable to get there. Why cant current control simply control the current directly with the throttle.
You always have to be careful yes

In my testing max6 is so much more controllable. The max6 has so much more punch throughout the throttle curve and separately it has punch settings. I prefer controlling speed for example on the bench or in real life for that matter the max6 won’t spin up to full speed with 1/4 throttle. My settings to get close to sensation of punch of car esc are 90 motor/40 battery per vesc with the throttle curve up and ramp up high. In summary the max6 feels like it has way more power and it feels controllable to me. Although max6 is slow top speed because it’s 8s, if it was 12s I might have made the switch.

@ackerman if you can fix the duty cycle so there is netruel when trigger is released​, that would be great.

Can you post Screenshots of the settings of the Max6. Just for curiosity. I thought about improving the duty cycle control. But i didn’t find something yet that i would like. My watt control mode for example makes current control even softer. I just like the controllability. But that is simply personal preference. For my best friend for example it would be enough if his offroad bike has a simple button for power on/off. I just like that i can go on the throttle even if i ride a hard corner or while i am carving. Because the throttle is so smooth. The most people i have seen would make the corner and then go on the throttle again on the straight.

For example 10 years ago a 150 hp motor cycle was much harder to handle and way more aggressive then the 200 hp beasts today which can be handled by anybody. For the old bikes you needed something heavy in your pants.

@Titoxd10001 if your 90A/40A is for 12S then you can reach around 2300 watts. That is in my comport zone with 12S. I mean i set my board for 2500 watts and could go even higher. But i don’t want that because that power is enough and nicely controllable. And pushes me up the hills in my area with more than 50 km/h easily. So i guess the Max6 punishes the motor really hard with very high currents by simply opening the door for the current and tell the motor to take whatever he wants.

1 Like

Like giant balls? You meant giant balls, didn’t you! You’re talking about balls! Balls are really funny!

2 Likes

I’m talking about a Hobbywing Max6. The only setting for throttle it has is​ punch level 1-5. Imo the vesc right now feels like driving a car with a bad carburetor, you press the throttle and nothing happens. You press full throttle to get acceleration, but you have to keep adjusting for speed. It’s a trade off with vesc you either have “smooth” (I would say lag/delayed) throttle or you up your settings and have no control using 1/4 throttle all the time for good acceleration. With max6 I feel I can get both. predictable, but powerful

@ackmaniac I have the vesc settings that high on vesc and I keep forgetting to check results on your app because I turn off my board before I look at my phone. But the times I’ve checked I’m getting over 2000 watts peak. I don’t think it’s that max6 six uses more amps it’s just the throttle delivery is so different. Max6 feels (speed) linear, yet punchy when I need it to.

who is @ackerman? :smiley:

@Ackmaniac

Fixed. My @ function doesn’t work for some reason and i was going off memory lol

1 Like

Tried duty cycle. Only tried it for short time under 20mph for safety reasons, but it’s seems be spot on in terms of speed control and acceleration off the line. Maybe that’s what I’m use to, but aren’t all (car/rc) escs duty cycle standard? What do boosted and evolve use?

If you could implement nuetral in to duty cycle I’d buy you a beer :beer:

1 Like

Welcome @ackerman, now we have 2 VESC software developers? :grin:

1 Like

When you left off the throttle in Watt or Current mode, would you get a slight deceleration?

Wouldn’t the ramp up current value make the VESC act as a regula ECS in terms of power delivery?

In watt or current mode it goes to nuetral when you release throttle. In duty mode if you release throttle it goes straight to brake and if you’re not pressing anything it’s braking already. Freaking scary if you lose grip of trigger

Not even close, to me. Well you can mimic acceleration I guess, but the way you press throttle is different. You’re controlling speed so if you press 1/3 throttle it will go to 10mph, you press 1/2 throttle it goes 15mph and stays there. The difference being you teleport to those speeds lol *if you want to. Without needing to jam throttle then release to go slow speed. You can still accelerate at normal pace, you need more throttle precision though because you have way more power at your finger tips. Trigger control recommend, maybe if you’re using thumb you won’t like having all the power

I wouldn’t like to go back to current mode, I really like to have a rescaled full throttle range every time I press the throttle back again.

I still use my Evolve Bamboo and I really hate when I let off the throttle and have to reach the engaging point where it starts to push again, I really don’t know when to throw myself forward. In Watt mode I know exactly when and how much to lean forward or backwards.

Every mode has its trade off I guess