3D Printed Hub for 6inch pneumatics on caliber trucks

What happened? I just like to keep up with these things. Thanks

EDIT, just saw where you had posted it. My bad.

What? Fusion 360?

It wont even take .ipt for me! I could get inventor but i don’t feel like it atm. I was thinking of using shapeways metal printing to get these hubs. I’d have to check the price though…

if you guys want the stl I can upload that as well - or any other format i can export from inventor

That would make life simpler! :grin:

so stl or anything else while I am at it? Edit: Done - they are online plus my 35t HTD5 pulley

I just need the STL…but I just figured out how to make Fusion 360 take it :sweat_smile:

I don’t know what would be useful to others… Also THANK YOU FOR USING INVENTOR!!!

As a autodesk user it’s amazing! So many people use sketchup D:

Damn… Shapeways aint cheap! I guess I should’ve expected that… 433.37 USD for aluminum! And that’s just one part!!!

Although “strong and flexible plastic” is around 30 USD

to make them from metal you are probably better of going the traditional subtractive manufacturing. However even trampa uses plastic for their hubs so metal is not really needed - all comes down to the plastic you use

@Maxid: So far the test print in scrap PLA looks good :slight_smile:

Just one question, is there a specific reason as to why the outer rings are separate parts and not integrated directly with the rim sides?

2 Likes

Material amount would be the same but you’d need additional support structures for the overhang. Also you can switch them out if necessary (one might break - it is where all the pressure is from inflating - you could even upgrade them to metal if you want) or add the pulley (I also uploaded my 35t one).

2 Likes

I see. I figured it had something to do with the rings taking most of the pressure and easy swapping of them. Printing only a new ring surely beats 5h+ for a whole new rim side. Pulley is printing as we speak :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing this!

BTW: I see you have the rounded edge on the outside . it is actually supposed to go on the inside as to not damage the tire with a “sharp” edge (no idea if actually necessary - was just a thought I had while designing)

Good eye. I’ve flipped them now. I’m thinking of adding a 1mm rounding on both the inner and the outer edges on the rings

More questions, sorry for being a PITA. Isn’t the inner hollowness of the pulley way bigger than it needs to be? The diameter is around 42mm when the hanger diameter is around 22mm.

Wouldn’t more material add to strength of the pulley?

I have the pulley very close to my mount. With the screws holding the motor plate sticking out a little, they would be touching the pulley. This way they can basically sit inside the pulley. If your mount allows a thicker wall you could easily add more material on the inside.

What mounts do you use?

My own - inspired by torqueboard’s and one from @ProtoBoards

I don’t suppose you have design files for them? I would like to print them for mockup mounting of everything. It’s totally fine if you don’t want to share them.

you should try and use the mounts you will ultimately use. A different mount will not help you much as center-center distance will be different, position on the hanger will be different and so on. It is important to not get too close to the tire with your motor pulley - that is also the reson why the pulley is so wide.

Did you ever get a chance to try these out? I’ll probably go for this, I need a cheaper options then trampa :unamused: