A question to fan experts

IMG_6696%20copy

A pc fan pushes the air above the cpu, so I would wire in that way in this application as well Also maybe drill a few holes on the opposite side from the fan on the enclosure so you have some fresh air flow

2 Likes

probably better to have that single one blowing out as it looks like you already have 2 creating a positive pressure there

1 Like

You’d definitely want it blowing air out of the box. You might need to drill a hole or two to allow actual flow through the box though if that’s what you are looking for.

Personally I only passive cool my Unity/Focbox/ollins and have never had problems…

3 Likes

You want airflow so cut another hole to create air current. What do you expect from just pulling air out of a closed box ? Efficiency won’t be good.

In this case I think negative pressure would be best. Have it blowing out, and fresh air will get sucked in from small gaps. If there aren’t any you will need to make some.

2 Likes

Put an airflow grill in the front and back of the enclosure and then the hot air generated by the esc’s will be forced out by the fans and dissipated. Not very waterproof though lol. @b264 would have a heart attack.

2 Likes

In theory, the front of the enclosure will be under more air pressure with the rear under less. A pusher fan should be in the front or a puller should be in the rear.

Not an ESK8 expert.

3 Likes

All you need to do is change the air within the enclosure. For that to happen the fan needs to have an airflow. If it doesn’t then all its doing is moving hot air around in there. Those esc’s are designed for use within a bodyshell which has a lot of air flow. Enclosures have next to nothing.

1 Like

^^^ What everybody said.

You can also add conformal coating on your parts if you want something water resistant and open, it’s painful process but useful too. You only need the ESC fans to blow over the heatsinks themselves, so everything else can be trapped in epoxy for example.

Maybe check the guy who was working on wiremesh guard too : with thin enough strands closely stacked you’ll be limiting a lot the water ingress amount and keep open airflow somewhat.

2 Likes

David listened… :rofl: IMG_6777

This fan puts air inside the box…

Can I reverse its polarity +/- to reverse fan direction? Can I try or do I risk to damage the fan?

1 Like

You are better off flipping the fan over. Whilst reversing the polarity will change the spinning direction it won’t be optimisedwith the shape of the blades.

3 Likes