About the ESK8 Electronics category

This is where you may discuss any part of the electric skateboard that requires power to function.

4 Likes

Why do I still need a 2s battery to run my reciever is this normal? Im worried cuase im switching to a wii controller will i have a problem pulling wiiceiver power through the vesc?

2 Likes

@Braylon31 This thread is about the category. Please start your own thread by clicking the new topic button.

1 Like

Hey guys, I have an (Magneto) Electric Skateboard and am thinking about installing a VESC. Any recommendations?

The board is awesome anyway! But getting really into this DIY electric board scene.

1 Like

Has anyone tried running a Quantum Mt series motor for their E-Board? http://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/viewproduct.asp?idproduct=67027

Iā€™m interested in a dual drive system, and these would leave plenty of space, as they are quite skinny. They only allow for a 6s system, but I could get 4 of them for the price of the Rotorstar motor Im looking at. http://www.hobbyking.com/mobile/viewproduct.asp?idproduct=55435 I know itā€™s a high kV, but I plan on gearing down ~ 6:1 ratio so I dont bog the speedy motor so much. The advantage of the Rotorstar motors is the fact I can run a 12s system.

Basically, I want to know what would work best for me.

Wishlist- Dual rear drive High battery cell count system-6s minimum ideally High ride time- around 10 miles ideally Good power- enought to get me up a 30-35% grade Good braking- for that same 35% grade.

I know Iā€™m asking a lot of the system, but its what I want out of it. Itā€™s pretty extreme and, I know, gonna be pricey. I need some input for this since its my first E-Board.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I need to post for some help with my motor but canā€™t see how to create a new thread?

You need to read for at least 30 minutes and post a few replies.

Thank you, I can do it now :slight_smile:

hey guys, I have a wonderful electric skateboard with hub motor drive, it can be assembled, and the battery can be replaced.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how to post a new topic.:sweat:

I am designing a cheap electric skateboard.

I have played around with various parameters for quite a while until I finally converged towards a specific motor and a specific battery. Lithium batteries are too expensive so Iā€™m going for an AGM motorcycle battery. The problem is that the 0.025Ohm resistance of the motor leads to a huge current (hundreds of amps) up to 10km/hr which is most of my operational range. Other motors do not provide me with sufficient torque, therefore I need to include a current limiter to protect the ESC and maximise the battery capacity. For information, the continuous rating of the ESC Iā€™m using is 60A.

Iā€™m planning on measuring the current with a Hall Effect current sensor such as the Allegro modules out there, and an Arduino. Then map the current to a % of the duty cycle to subtract to the setpoint, before sending it to the ESC. For example, up to 30A => 0 feedback, 60A and above => 100% feedback, varying linearly in between. My gut feeling says itā€™s basically a bang-bang controller which should be converging.

Hi, Iā€™m also new to building an electric skateboard, and I bought everything for itā€¦ except I forgot a charger for my battery. I have a 4000mah 5s 20-50c lipo pack, does anyone know what charger I should buy?

This is the link to my battery in case Iā€™m not clear enough: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-4000mah-5s-25-50c-lipo-pack.html

Thanks, Guillaume

Me neitheršŸ˜‚

Looks like nobody knows

2 Likes

Read for at least 30 minutes and comment on some threads. This is not the right place to ask questions about electronics.

My board wonā€™t go from a standing position it just shakes a slight roll apply power and your ok any idea what vesc setting needs changing

hi Iā€™ve recently received my parts to realize that my space cell pro 3 had an xt60 connector and I was wondering which one is better, xt90 or xt60?

xt90 generally because it allows more electricity to flow through it, and its a bit safer

hope this helps

I had this same issue, what fixed it for me is by going to the ā€œadvancedā€ tab in the motor config of the bldc tool. There should be a section labeled, ā€œCurrent controlā€ under that there should be startup boost. Make sure you are in bldc mode and make the number higher. I think the default is 0.010, try making it 0.050 or 0.060. This should get rid of the shaking and give you a gentle start.

Let me know if this helps!

can i use a space cell pro 3 as a power supply to program a vesc