All new 2019 VESC-Tool release

Try setting them up individually first the old fashioned way.

Then go back and run the wizard and see if that helps.

On a side note… Low speed wheel lockups with larger 8" wheels no longer a problem with the new firmware!! No more getting thrown off my board just because I was slowly braking to a stop!!

1 Like

Benjamin will have a look into that matter. I updated our entire fleet and had this message a few times. Restarting the Wizard solved the issue.

1 Like

Is it actually telling you that your firmware is old or is it just warning you that you have to be up to date. I was confused but that too, but then I read it again and it was simply informing you to be up to date with latest firmware.

Try it this way.

1. Download VESC Tool but one version older
  2. Update firmware of 1st, than 2nd vesc
  3. Download latest VESC Tool, connect to Master, and upload both at once.
  4. Set up motors and input.

How important is it to do motor detection without belts? Since I need to redo motor detection every time the vesc fw is updated, having to remove the belts is really difficult. I have done motor detection with the belts on and it seems to work just fine even on the 2019 Trampa Pro belt drive with the v-ring installed which causes quite a bit of drag.

1 Like

schouldn’t matter. As long as the drag is not very high, detection will perform fine.

2 Likes

Is there any way to keep your settings when updating the firmware via mobile? Every time I update I have to set up the motor and input again. I realise it’s not a massively laborious process, but with the rate of firmwares coming out lately it’s a little bit tedious.

5 Likes

With CANBUS connecting ESC1 to ESC2 and remote plugged in to ESC1, I did the following: 1.) Reset Firmware on ESC1 2.) Reset Firmware on ESC2 3.) Perform motor set up on ESC1, the motor spins 4.) Perform motor set up on ESC2, the motor spins 5.) Perform app set up on ESC1, comes up with both ESCs, Select ESC1, complete app set up write. 6.) When using the remote only ESC1 motor moves.

At any point should I be clicking the Forward Communication over CANBUS button on the right tool bar? I figured since it was detecting ESC2 during app set up, this is not required.

Thanks!

Scan CAN-Bus and see if the VESC-Tool finds your slave. Tick the box " Activate" (mobile) or the CAN Forward Button (desktop). You should now be logged into the Slave. Go to APP CFG, select PPM and GENERAL, Locate MULTIPLE VESCs over CAN. Is it switched OFF? Slave is switched off (False), Master is Switched ON (True).

Both VESCs need a different ID. You can either let VESC-Tool determin the ID, or set it manually. (e.g. ID0 and ID1).

On the other hand side, you should be able to just run the wizard and things should work.

Frank

Ok so I did scan, found the other ESC, then I clicked forward communication over CAN-bus. Next I sent to APP and I got the following warnings: “All VESCs must have the latest firmware to perform this operation.” then I clicked OK. Then I get ‘Update Firmware’ You need to update the firmware on the VESC in order to use it with this version of VESC Tool. Your VESC (or one of the VESCs ont he CAN-bus) has old firmware, and needs to be updated. After that, the motor configuration has to be done again. with a pop up ‘Red Firmware Version’ - Could not read firmware version. Make sure that the selected port really belongs to the VESC. Both VESCs have up to date firmware D:

1 Like

When you connect to slave, do you see a green bar at the bottom of the screen. If not, you are not connected and the slave wasn’t found. Then you get the message described above. If the ESC has no bootloader installed, the FW will upload, but finally it’s not written to the ROM. After reboot the ESC will display the old FW version. In this case you have to upload the bootloader via VESC-Tool and then do the FW update again. So please check if the ESCs really has the latest FW installed.

Both ESCs have latest firmware, same problem. Wondering if one of my ESC CAN-bus is broken at this point

Try switching them master>slave, slave>master

I see the greenbar at the bottom of the screen. When I do motor set up the non connected VESC motor moves only. When I goto app it says VESC doesnt have the correct firmware. Bought a focbox unity…

The Unity is not compatible with the VESC tool. You need to use the unity tool.

Someone was saying that there are Chinese Esc running vesc Benjamin firmware… What vescs are these? I’m working in China I bought some vescs 4.12 really cheap here but that’s the original vesc just built here. What kind of hardware from China are you guys talking about?

Please update to the latest 1.07 VESC-Tool. For some motors the 1.06 version could create some cogging, due to the Temperature Compensation feature. The new 1.07 uses a different algorithm to calculate the motor parameters and has Temperature Compensation switched off.

3 Likes

Unity is technically a more simple device, that is limited to the use of a modified VESC-Tool derivate. Since it has no dedicated processors for each ESC, but shares one processor amongst two ESCs, VESC-Tool will not be able to configure the Unity. You will need to wait until Enertion finds the time to integrate the latest software features into their VESC-Tool derivate. Unity is a bit like a computer that can only run a certain Linux distribution.
Don’t try to use VESC-Tool to configure the Unity. Hardware damages might occur!

I guess this explain what happened to me the other day… #bindingssavedmefromfalling

IMG_9183 IMG_9184

Never mind the amps. Look at that consumption figure.

I had something similar the other day which doesn’t make sense either. I didn’t feel anything wrong though. I was just cruising along normally.

You are either just standing still on a slope or you have enabled GPS in location setting.