Are hub motors worse?

My guess is any hubs going up that incline for that long will burn up. Either the motor or ESC will give out, perhaps even on belt drives.

2 Likes

You need to give us like a half a year warning. I need a excuse to build a extended range pack so when connected in parallel its 12s8p pack or 1,036WH’s. Probably need to uprade my board to 4wd belt for a event like this in case someone needs a tow uphill lol.

5 Likes

Sounds like we should make this an event!

The race up Pikes peak…

The raptor 2 should be able to make it up, right? 25 mile range, 12 miles is nothing…

3 Likes

Would be a sick ride. @chaka let us know so we can start throwing cash at our boards lol.

3 Likes

13% grade is no joke. Nobody’s going to have a run in either. It’s going to eat watt hours for breakfast then brunch (maybe some fets, drv’s and of course hubmotor windings as well)

Stoked to hear as well about glendora mountain road plans!! That is going to be sick!!!

4 Likes

Most of the hills in my neighborhood are 7-15% grade. I live in the middle of this type of terrain.

I think with a 4wd of hummies new hubs, this mountain will not be an issue. Battery space is though… Gona have to make some ridiculous mold for this board…

1 Like

that grade constantly for 12 miles is a different story though. SF doesn’t have long constant inclines. Twin peaks comes close but not nearly that long.

2 Likes

Going to train with mt. tamalpias :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Doesn’t actually sound like he was implying you’re involved with Maytech

I’ll stick with the R2… Once you have ridden something with huge amounts of direct drive torque in the wheels it’s hard to go back to the old technology of belts and pulleys

Also, Didn’t realise you had any complete boards available :wink: you build boards?

In about 4 weeks there will be 500 R2 in the wild… Surely someone can lend you one for a ride… You’ll finally understand what real performance feels like.

No excuses time to get to work would really like to see the king of the mountain I believe belts and hubs will come up short to Moe’s gear drive

Chacka thinks he knows what everyone is doing…

I guarantee he has been working with maytech and has hub motor sample’s. He will try to bring a hub motor board to market early 2018.

Santa Clarita sk8 club rules Moe’s monster will be victorious

The shit slinging here is getting ridiculous. Both belts or hubs can be good if the system is well designed for the application.

But as it concerns DIYers there are very few high performance hubs available, if any.

The trend at the moment for huge performance is dual 6374 15mm belts on wide trucks.

8 Likes

Going fishing, eh? lol

Whats funny is the tech in his boards is so far beyond really the entire market.

Give it a few weeks, everything is about to change. New v3 hummie hubs are being assembled in San Francisco as we speak… We’re in the process of running computer aided simulations and making final adjustments for the motors materials. Most of the parts have already arrived. Affordable, yet powerful hubs. 4WD is going to be insane. Likely 80mm to start with, 90mm and 97mm options to come in the near future.

2 Likes

Itching to run a single on these

Haha I hope you see the irony of this post

1 Like

That is the other factor, a choice of wheel size, most hub suppliers only have one size. Personally I will only run 97s as some of the roads around me could only loosely be called paved.

Even when hummie’s and carvon’s are available the number of high performance hubs can be counted on one hand. :grimacing: we need more!!

4WD hubs will always be awesome ignoring the $$$. You can even get pretty good performance from average hubs this way. Most people are not going that extreme though.

yeah… i’m taking the piss a little bit…

Confusion Definition

1. Assembling as we speak?
  2. making final adjustments for motor materials?
  3. Most of the parts have arrived?

doesn’t make sense, sounds like vaporware… I’ll believe it when i see it…