Are hub motors worse?

Jesus, the dick measuring contest between you guys are so palpable I can feel it all the way here on the other side of the planet.

6 Likes

4 Likes

most “seasoned riders” are not actually that interested in electric skateboards anyway…

micro niche is cool though & eventually, the seasoned riders will come to see the light… just need a few years for it to develop.

1 Like

really long stators are so hard to cool… good luck

I think this blanket statement is quite wrong…Just met with Jack Smith from the Morrow bay skateboard museum last month. Just Talked to Chris Chaput for 3 hours a couple of days ago about several old school manufacturers of skateboards. They are here. They have noticed whats up. They are all working on product. This is going to be a big year coming up for Eskate.

Seasoned Longboarders have just been observing. I don’t think they’re hating on us at all.

5 Likes

I purchased a Raptor 2, waiting for it to arrive and compare it with my dual 6374s Trampa on 12S, I’m not expecting the Raptor to be faster or have more torque as the dual 6374s are ridiculously powerful.

I think the power would be comparable with my dual 6355s 230kv runing 10S on 15/40T ratio and 97mm flywheels, I’d be glad if the Raptor has more torque and it’s in fact faster

Why not just share what makes ur great then telling us all we are wrong is fine but if ur gonna say it at least say why ( not trying to sound like a dick)

i did just tell you, really long stators are harder to cool, thinner stators can dissipate heat better.

Then why didn’t u go 6355 type stator

too small…

So your stator is the only perfect one being not too big or too small

all I’m saying is that making your stator longer make it harder to extract heat. making them shorter makes it hard to make them powerful. the best method is increasing diameter,

all these variables have design constraints… finding the perfect balance is tricky…

3 Likes

More research to be done then

Hope you can do a comparison Video of it :slight_smile: Belts have a huge advantage of being able to swap wheels around and I do believe that a geared motor will give more torque but I guess time will tell

1 Like

take a look at this figure i circled in red below, how many “seasoned skaters” put their cash in here?

think about the market for electric skateboards, who does it consists of right now?..

Here’s some free market research for you guys,

I extracted this data from acton crowdfunding campaign before it had finished.

majority of the orders in this snapshot were for the $600 product.

next largest unit qty sold was for the $400 product

60% of the orders were for the product under $600

the current market doesn’t know what high-quality wheels are… they probably don’t even know what a truck & bushings are…

If you want your business to sell only to a micro niche that’s cool, but ask yourself is it viable?

I have talked to @ChrisChaput before also, he called me for advice on making electric skateboards, I also wanted to use his wheels for Raptor 1, but I don’t think he fully understood the esk8 market at that stage… & after he got the info he needed he eventually stopped replying to my emails about ordering his wheels. Maybe he had too much money? :slight_smile: Maybe he didn’t think us small guys would end up big guys, I think it was a lost opportunity for him…

Personally, I think these guys are going to miss the esk8 boat… their only hope now is raising cash fast & buying one of us small guys out, maybe carvon is a good match for a buyout by @ChrisChaput

Maybe I would have considered an offer 12 months ago… but they would need double digit millions now and they don’t have it.

the sad truth is that the traditional world of skateboards & the market as it stands today is going to get turned on its head by the few small, but successful, esk8 companies who moved too fast, sold too much and became too established in a new market that they still don’t fully understand.

That’s exactly what happened when Chris introduced his unique style of wheels to the market… he was the underdog coming in and disrupting the skateboard market.

Here is a snippet from 2009, Chris is explaining how different players in a market react to disruptive new products/markets. Basically exactly what is happening now with esk8 builders pushing their way onto the scene with new an innovative products.

Time for another episode of Potters Prophecies?

This is how the next few years look for the big name longboard brands (unless they move extremely quickly)

1. Big Players sitting back dominating the skateboard industry
  2. esk8 fly lands on the skate industry desk, swat… what was that annoying thing!
  3. esk8 fly doesn’t go away… turns into a swarm of flies… skate industry just want them to go away!
  4. esk8 fly turns into an elephant, skateboard industry guys say “hey can we be involved now? somehow? please?”
  5. Skateboard industry flying around esk8-elephants arse eating shit - not bothering elephant at all…

:slight_smile:.

6 Likes

Damn… times are a’changin

Agreed. Give it a few years and I think things will change. I was a seasoned rider, and I got into e-boarding… All of my friends tell me they would never think to buy an eboard, but I give them mine for a ride and they say they’d be more inclined after trying it. I think price will always be important, but I see a time maybe 5 years down the road or less where seasoned riders use high power electric skateboards.

I think the raptor has it’s place in the market, but I’m interested in more power and speed. Serious skateboards want serious eboards. And thats not the raptor.

Carvon v3’s make the most sense.

Full urethane and easy to swap and rotate.

Thin urethane limits a rider to smoother surfaces

2 Likes

Up until now, the biggest problem with tires on hub motors has mostly to do with deteriorating rubber. Higher duro wheels in turn are harder, deterioration and deform less, so most are using harder wheels to begin with. Hummie and I are in the process of putting a core into the rubber, which should allow us to use lower duro wheels that ride smoother.

Yes, we have all of the parts to build motors as we speak. We’re doing our test winds and assembling the first of these motors right now as we speak.

Guage, wind pattern, and magnets could all change, even the stator. So yes, some materials might change to make more opimizations.

Now, all have.

These motors will set apart the little guys from the bigger guys. You original tests of hummies small motors were tainted by the blue goo and aluminum design. These motors mechanically are the soundest and safest design I have ever seen. Over 3000 miles and no failure that has resulting In a crash. The axle of this truck will be fail safe, as are most of the design of these motors.

2 Likes